Chapter 12

*Flashback*

I hear the door slam as he walks in, I see him looking around barely being able to stand up I can tell he's drunk and that just means one thing for me and it is not good. I try to walk as quiet as I can to hide in the bathroom as I was nearly there he spotted me. "Stop" I heard him yell. He came storming over and my heart sank.

*End of flashback*

I've been through the same routine multiple times. It didn't start off like this, I met Ryan 4 years ago in a coffee shop, he was so handsome and sweet. We went on a date and he was lovely, used to buy me presents, show affection like cute little things like running a bath after I've had a long shift, we moved in together and it was great. After he few months he started wanting to look at my phone, then it was checking where I was going and who I was speaking to. Then it got even worse, he starting commenting on how I look, what I wear and who I could spend my time with. Even though the degrading comments were horrible I could deal with it. I've never been so scared as I was on the 24th December, Ryan starting getting annoyed about the plans my family made for Christmas they wanted me home to spend it as a family, he was not happy with this and his anger spiralled that was the first day he hit me.

I tried to leave multiple times as the beatings got worse, he always left marks where people could not see them and this went on for far too long until the night it didn't and I ended up fighting for my life.

I woke up cold with the shower still running, I have no idea what time it is, I turn the shower off and go lay on the bed. I'm scared of going back to sleep in case the nightmares come as I hear a heated conversation coming from the direction of the living room. I look at my phone from messages from Riley and Ben checking I'm okay some of them sent over an hour ago. I send a message back saying I'm fine and turn my phone off.

I spend the rest of the night staring at the wall dreading what is to come the next morning.

Morning comes faster than I'm prepared for and I take my shower, my heart is beating so fast but I hear Claire here and that means Coopers back. Time to do the job.

I walk out and greet Claire in the kitchen, Coopers in the highchair and as soon as he sees me lifts his arms for me to pick him up. I look at his bright smiling face and it makes me smile instantly. "I missed you little man, did you have fun at Auntie Claire's?" I said. He smiled further and babbles happily I put him back in the highchair as Claire comes to give me a hug saying "Did you enjoy your night out?", I just smiling and busied myself preparing a coffee I was not going to bring this up with her because I don't want him being anymore angry.

"Morning Claire, was Cooper okay for you?" I heard Theo ask. As I pour the hot water I stiffen up and my mind goes back to last night. I hear a gasp as Theo shouts "Watch what you're doing, your so incompetent clean it up now". I didn't realise what he was talking about until I feel intense burning on my hand, I pull my hand away and realise I didn't stop pouring the water as I sat on the kitchen top dripping on the floor. I turn around to look at him with wide eyes "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry I didn't mean to, Ill clean it right away. Sorry" the words stumble out of my mouth. I turn and grabbed a cloth and start wiping. Claire starts saying something about my hand but I just concentrate on cleaning the mess, she pulls me away from it saying I need to take care of my hand.

Theo comes over and stand between me and Claire stating that I will clean the mess up before doing anything and I go back to cleaning. Claire tries talking to Theo but he brushes her off telling her not to get involved in the way he speaks to his staff.

I carry on cleaning silently I believe it's probably just best for me to keep as quiet as possible around him and be invisible like he says. He leaves the apartment after having a long conversation with Claire and I pick up Cooper and go to the play area. Coopers holding a teddy as I say "Little man shall we go out today and have an adventure". He looks at me with his beaming smile and I think everything's going to be okay. I love working with Coop and looking after him makes me so happy we have bonded, I don't want to have to leave because of Theos issues with me.