Chapter 2

Getting prepared for the new job is making me so nervous, what will I be doing? am I going to get enough hours to survive? will everyone be nice?

I need to calm down.

I towel dried my hair and put it in a messy bun. Strands of hair flying around my face, I have picked out high wasted jeans and a thin black jumper with a tank top underneath. and my trusted converse. The shoes that have never let me down.

Nervously I walk to the bar, stopping outside I look at the sign CLOCKWORK, taking a deep breath I walk in. My mind starts to wander, What a strange name for a bar.

Jerry is sitting at the bar when I walk in. "Mia nice of you to join us", I check my watch to make sure I'm not late. "You're not late but most of my employees are, it's a nice change from what I'm stuck with now". Laughing he elbowed the guy next to him.

"Alright, Jer no need to bad mouth us to the new girl". I notice a woman in her late 20's shout to Jerry.

Jerry ignored her and walked up to me. "Here's your uniform, although we don't do food all night just until 7 so after that you'll need to help on the bar". I make my way to the changing rooms and put on the white blouse and black pinafore dress. Okay straight to it then. I'm standing watching the woman in her late 20's as she takes an order. I'm just watching for the restaurant part apparently. She finally makes her introductions; her name is Melanie and she's worked her for 5 years. She only works until 7 pm because she spends time with her kids at night.

"Jerry told me you'll primarily be doing late shifts", I'm not sure as I haven't spoken specifically to him about this so shrug my shoulders.

"You're so quiet, you'll get eaten alive here even I won't do lates. It is chaotic at night so loud, drunk people everywhere and you know I have my kids". She smirked like she knew something I didn't.

Why does everyone keep saying I'll get eaten alive, it can't be that bad right?

It gets to 7pm and Melanie's shift is finishing. Jerry tells me to take my apron off and go behind the bar. I start serving some people who come in.

"Hey, shorty you're here" I'm busy serving and getting the money from the customer. A hand envelope my waist. Jumping a mile, the brick wall catches me from behind. When I say brick wall I mean a wall of solid body muscle.

Turning around to see who invaded my personal space, Matty is stood there. "Shorty, I shouted you and you ignored me, I'm wounded". Clutching his chest as if he's funny.

Jerry walking up beside to bar comments "Well someone is actually doing their job".

The bar is starting to get busy, with a lot of drunk people around. Me and Matty are working the bar and another girl who I don't know the name of is glass collecting. I'm watching the people around dance; the music is pretty loud.

My feet are killing me when I finish. I scurry out of the bar at 4 am. What a long shift. Jerry and Matty said their goodbyes to me. Hannah the glass collector nodded her head when I left ... progress I guess at least I know her name now.

Back at the apartment, I crash on my bed. Thank god for the long shift maybe I can sleep now.

Waking up the next day I've got a message from Jerry/

 Friday/Saturday nights honey that's all I can give you.

I haven't got work for a few days now so I'm going to go food shopping to pay Freya back. It's a long way to the store, bearing in mind I don't drive. I get essential things and some treats for us guessing what she likes.

Arriving back at the apartment I put everything away and watch some TV, drifting off.

I've been working at CLOCKWORK a few weeks now but I'm barely getting enough hours, I need to pay rent and my savings are dwindling down. Jerry is lovely and he's trying to get me more hours but if there are no hours there is none. I'm running out of options other than getting another job.

I've started to have a good relationship with Faye and Matty now, I've made some good friends. Me and Faye have our own things to do but when we don't we have movie marathons or go out. Matty sometimes joins us, they seem to be growing closer which is nice.

Faye does like reminding me that she still loves sex and is not ready to settle down but I see the way they look at each other.

I've called my family a few times to check-in and they were surprised by me leaving but also want me to experience more. The deal is I call every week just to check-in. There is one person I am yet to hear off but I'm sure once he's sobered up from a binge he will start bombarding me but for now, I am enjoying the peace.

Looking for work seems harder than the last time, I've been looking for two weeks now and not one interview.

I decide to stop at a coffee shop and order a bagel and a large coffee, god I'm so tired. connecting to the internet I'm scrolling online to see any online advertisements. At this point, I will take any job given.

Looking through I see a job advert for babysitting. I can do that can't I? I don't really have any experience but it won't hurt to apply. I send in my CV online and finish my coffee.

It is now the back end of summer and it is starting to cool off so I go home hoping someone will contact me about any jobs.

A few days later I have just finished my shift at CLOCKWORK and Faye decided to come down so we decided to grab a drink at the bar. Matty stood talking to us whilst serving. It's these situations I feel like a third wheel, although I would like a have someone there with me I don't have the confidence to approach men and he would never let me anyway. I also don't have massive trust in them from my past relationships.

Seeing Faye and Matty get along so well makes me so happy because she seems to be falling for him whether she knows it yet, I'm not sure you can't rush these things.

Falling asleep I dream yet again about him, why does this happen to me. Bolting up crying I give up trying to sleep and go watch some TV.

I decide to make breakfast for me and Faye, pancakes it is. As I was finishing up Faye comes into the kitchen "Your phones ringing". whilst shoving pancakes in her mouth. I run to grab my phone.

"Hello?", "Hi I am calling on behalf of Theo Levy, this is regarding the job vacancy for a nanny. Am I speaking to Mia Graham?" The man on the phone asked.

"Yes speaking" I timidly answer this is the only call back that I have got.

"Very well, we would like you to come in for an interview, however, this does not mean you have the job do you understand?" Why would he think I would automatically assume?

"Yes, I understand" I replied.

"The interview is to be conducted tomorrow morning at 9 am sharp, failing to attend the interview consider your application revoked. Bring forms of identification you will not be allowed in the building without them. The address is 756 Bowman's Avenue, Building name Freefall. We look forward to meeting you. Have a good day". the call ended and all I could think was I can't mess this up.

I re-joined Faye in the kitchen. "I've got an interview," I said excitedly. "Oh my god, where? when? how? what doing?" It all came out at once.

"Nanny, tomorrow morning, Freefall building" her face dropped.

"You do know the Freefall building is?, It's where all the rich people live, I wonder what will happen tomorrow" and with that, she walked away.

Why did she react like that? now I'm nervous I'm not the kind of person wealthy people want around.

It is going to be a hell of a long day.