Chapter Four : My Brother Joey

THE SCORCH

2578 DAYS AFTER SOLAR FLARES

22.56 HOURS

Buck

Joey just stared at me with widened eyes, looking me up and down as I was doused in blood with a knife in one hand and a gun in the other. He looked absolutely horrified.

"I told you to stay back." I told him flatly, walking past him and leaving the limp body to rot in the Scorch heat.

"You killed him."

"What did you think would happen? You thought I was just going to let him go?" I asked him and Joey threw his hands through his hair in horror. "I'm getting sick and tired of you doing this Joe."

"Your getting sick and tired?!" Joey shouted at me, causing me to turn and face him. "YOU KILLED A MAN!"

"He wasn't the first and he won't be the last."

"You are sick, you know that?!" He shouted to me but I rolled my eyes, shaking my head.

"I can't keep having this conversation with you." I told him calmly but Joey was anything but calm. "I had to. He knew too much."

"I brought him here to help him, not for you to kill him Buck!" Joey shouted at me but I glared at him.

"Then that was your fault." I told him through gritted teeth. "He was a WICKED soldier."

"What if he had a family? Huh? What then?" He asked me but I sighed with annoyance. "Your unbelievable!"

"You can't save everyone. You should at least know that by now." I told him, trying to deescalate the situation before it got worse.

"What about mom?"

I froze in my tracks, turning to look at my brother as he stood there looking back at me with angry eyes. He didn't even know what he was talking about. Or that's what I told myself at the time.

"Joey. Don't." I said harshly. "Don't go there."

"Why not Buck?" Joey asked me and I knew he was only desperately trying to make me stay. To stop me from running away from our conflicts like I always did. "What happened? What happened between you and mom?"

"I told you. Nothing."

"LIAR!"

***

THE GLADE

DAY ONE IN MAZE TRIALS

16:56 HOURS

Buck

I wished he would say something, anything at all. For some reason I had this idea that he would suddenly wake from a trance and see me and smile. At the very least I wanted him to be angry. To shout and scream at me and call me a monster. Just anything to tell me that he at least knew who I was.

But there was nothing there.

His stare was empty.

"I think you broke the door." I heard Charlie say from behind me. "I think she broke the door Gally."

"Yup, I got that Lee, but not the time." Gally said and Charlie nodded, looking around the room. "You can leave if you want."

"Alright, bye bye." And just like that the boy was gone, through the door and away from the Homestead in an awkward hurry.