Chapter Fifteen : The Girl Who Had a Name

WICKED COMPOUND

DAY 1864 AFTER SOLAR FLARES

23:07 HOURS

Buck

   "Is that all you do?" I heard the familiar voice of Thomas ask from below me, and I looked down to the bottom of the wall that I am surveying. "You just stand up there all night, every night, waiting for something bad to happen?"

I ignore him.

   "Don't you sleep?"

   "How do you know I don't?" I ask him back in return as I started walking down the path while Thomas followed me from the ground.

   "It's obvious." He said back to me but I roll my eyes at him and try to move faster, but Thomas picks up the same speed.

   "What the hell do you want from me?" I ask him as I skidded to a stop, looking down at him from above. "You have a nice room and a comfortable bed with a girlfriend just next door." I remind him, but Thomas is suddenly puzzled.

   "You mean Teresa?" Thomas asked me but I don't answer. "She's just a good friend of mine, that's all."

I'm not jealous

I'm not jealous

I'm not jealous.

   I reach over my shoulder and press my thumb against the button of my radio. I listened as it crackled to life while never keeping my eyes off of Thomas.

   "This is officer Buck on the East perimeter. Subject A2 is out of his quarters, someone come escort him back."

The look of hurt on his face made me want to melt.

But I didn't let him see that.

THE GLADE

DAY 367 IN MAZE TRIALS

17:35 HOURS

Buck

I know it wasn't about me, but it doesn't seem like a coincidence that the next day after I threatened Janson he sends up Teresa. He was probably going to do it anyway, but I think he took pleasure in doing it knowing that Thomas would be investigating her more then caring about me. I never cared about the relationship they had before the Maze, but I must care now because just the sight of her pissed me off.

Minho had taken Thomas away to show him the maps of the Maze while Joey stuck with Newt for a while. I'm pretty sure they made up after whatever fight drew them apart, but I could see Newt cracking from the pressure. Whatever WICKED was planning must have been big because they have set all of this up. Maybe they want us to escape.

Wouldn't that be a miracle?

"BUUUUUUUUUUUCK!"

Great.

I turned around, watching as Charlie came charging at me in a panic, his hands waving in the air as if shouting my name didn't get my attention. However, now that the boy was getting closer to me I realized that his face seemed a little distressed. I also then noticed a red mark on his forehead and that's when I started running towards him in more of a hurry.

When Charlie got to me, I grabbed him by the shoulders, looking him up and down carefully, running my thumb over his forehead. He swatted me away, looking at me with an annoyed expression, but it wasn't towards me. I backed away from him so that he could read what I was signing.