Chapter Forty-Six : Scent of a Burnt World

Desmond

   I wasn't sure where they went with Buck, but I was sure they were waiting for the right time to show off her broken state with the rest of the camp. I was disgusted and horrified with WICKED, but also with myself. I kept wondering if things would have been different if I never took those damn pills and didn't say all those horrible things to Buck. Maybe she would have been okay and able to aide in the fight against the soldiers. But I guess now wasn't the best time to dwindle on all of that.

The soldiers had gathered every single Immune up and left the non-immunes to the side to make sure there wasn't any confusion between us. All of us were on our knees in rows, guns in our faces and orders being barked at us as if we were animals and meant nothing to the world. I was kneeled in between Harriet and Aris, completely separated from Newt, Frypan, and Minho. But Thomas was missing.

Of course he was.

However, Charlie was also missing

Along with Jorge and Brenda.

   Everything about today has absolutely sucked fucking balls. It felt like no matter what we did or what we tried, we were always destined to lose everything good. We were allowed to get a taste of it, but never the full thing. It was horrible and frustrating.

Suddenly, I felt a hard grip against my neck and I yelped out in pain as I was held still by a soldier. Newt tried to fight for me along with Minho, but all it got was a kick to the ribs and they shut up.

"A 14." The soldier behind me announced and I watched a man in front of me with a tablet jot something down. I felt a shiver run down my spine.

We were labeled like objects.

It was horrible and vile.

The soldier went down my row and scanned the necks of each Immune prisoner, reading out their letter and number. Everyone from my group was A except for Harriet, Sonya, and Aris who were all B's. What any of this had to do with us was beyond me.

"Where's Thomas?" I heard the disgusting voice of Janson boom over the rest of us.

"Right here." A familiar voice called out and everyone's heads turned to look at the boy we all knew.

Thomas just walked right out into the open, soldiers lining their launchers up just in case he tried to pull some kind of stunt. But there was no fight from him. He just stared at Janson who glared back at him with an evil smile that could be the face of a child's nightmare. When the two were face to face, I could feel the suffocating tension.

"Thomas." Janson said before landing a punch right into Thomas's gut.

The crowd all gasped in shock as the rest of us tried to help him but there was nothing we could do. Soldiers were on our ass so no matter what advance we tried, we would be held back. My blood was boiling and my heart was beating loudly in my chest to the point where I thought it was going to burst.

"Get him in line with the others." Janson called as he threw a doubled-over Thomas to a soldier that then threw him to his knees beside Minho.

Janson had his back to us for a while before suddenly, the sounds of a huge aircraft filled the silence. The rapid winds came after that, brushing against our skin and throwing parts of the camp all over the place. We all covered our eyes by ducking when a cloud of dust shot up from the ground as the burg landed on the open space to the left of the crowd.

Slowly, the propellers started to slow to a stop and the hatch door of the aircraft lowered itself down to make a walkway. Inside was a group of about six guards all guiding the way for the big woman herself. I never thought I'd meet her considering at first I thought she was dead until she seemed to have resurrected herself. Evil never dies I suppose.