Chapter Nineteen : Sequence

Desmond

   I never thought we'd ever get the chance to get out of here. I thought we'd be Gladers for the rest of our lives. I guess I'll always be a Glader, but things are going to be different if we don't die in the process. Me and Newt fell behind from the rest of the group as we ran through the intricate Maze, his limp slowing him down and I refused to leave his side.

   I tried to console him as much as I could after leaving behind some of the Gladers, his mind so set on the idea that he failed them as their leader. Not to mention, the last time he was in the Maze was when he had the incident, so the memories he has here are nothing short of horrible. I wanted to offer whatever services I could but I didn't knowing that there was nothing I could give him.

   You know, when I became a Medjack, I thought that meant I would be able to help people when they got hurt. I was happy stitching people up and giving them medicine when they were sick because it meant that I was important for something. But since the day Buck came up from the Box, I realized that there was a lot that I couldn't do. Watching her have her seizures and not being able to make her feel better made me feel absolutely useless. Even when Newt had his accident, there was nothing I could do for him because I couldn't fix him, all I could do was help.

   Buck slowed subtly, trying to make it look like she wasn't worried but I knew she was. Despite what everyone else thought, the woman had a heart, even if it was a very violent one. Minho was all the way upfront with Thomas leading the way like the fearless leaders they were.

   We ran through what Buck told us were the Blades and I ignored the question of how she knew that. There was a lot that Buck did that I questioned, but I ignore it most of the time, though others might argue that I was a bit obsessive with it. I disagree but whatever.

   I could tell we had finally made it because Thomas and Minho stopped the group, making me and the other Keepers push our way to the front with Thomas. The boy looked around the corner of the Maze wall, staring down the corridor before whipping his head back to us. He didn't really have to tell us, I think we all could have guessed we were going to be met by the Greivers.

   "Is there a Greiver?" Chuck asked and Thomas nodded, looking over to the rest of the group.

   I could feel my body shaking and my breaths beginning to pick up speed, but I couldn't do this, not right now. Back at the Medhut, we had all kinds of meds sent up to us through the Box with instructions and descriptions written in books. I remember going over with Clint and Jeff about the importance of never using them for personal gain or to give them away to Gladers who didn't need them. I guess that would make me a hypocrite.

   I stole a few bottles that I hid in my pocket, downing them when no one was looking at me, hoping that it would calm down the anxiety. I had been down this dark road before, but I quit after Newt's incident, but what was I supposed to do? I didn't really have a choice when we were about to storm through what was probably a swarm of blood thirsty monsters.

I don't know about you

But that sounds like an anxiety attack waiting to happen.

   Buck was standing in front of me luckily, holding a scared Charlie close to her. I knew that if she saw me take the pills she'd be absolutely infuriated, which again is really weird because she wouldn't care if it were literally anyone else. She would have even let it slide if she caught another Glader taking drugs. But me? Nope. I loved her and all, but why was she always on my ass when she had no connection to me?

   "You take this Chuck." Minho said, passing over the key to the Greiver hole. "Stay behind us with Charlie."

   "It's okay," Teresa said, tying her hair back. "They can stay with me."