Chapter Fifty-Six : City So Clean

MARCUS'S PLACE

DAY 856 AFTER SOLAR FLARES

12:09 HOURS

Buck

He is kicking and screaming and hitting me as I tried to pull him out of the closet. He was starving, thirsty, and he soiled his pants after the bathroom wasn't an option for him for hours. It wasn't his fault, and I felt horrible. He tried to push me away but I wasn't going to let him rot inside this fucking closet anymore than he had to. I was going to have to clean it too.

"Joey, stop baby boy."

"GO AWAY!" He screamed in my face. "GO AWAY!"

He's backed himself completely into the closet and I didn't want to force him out after the hell he's already been through. I put my arms down and looked at my brother with my blurry vision and my pounding headache.

"Joey, come on out here, okay?" I begged but he shook his head.

"YOU LEFT ME!" Joey screamed at me and I tried to shush him in fear that my mother would hear and come back for another round of beatings. "YOU LEFT ME IN THERE FOREVER!"

"I'm so sorry baby, I am so so sorry." I told him but he shook his head and crumbled into a ball and cried. "Come here Joey."

I outstretched my arms and this time he fell into me. I had to change and wash myself off anyway so I didn't care that he was soaked in his own pee. I shushed his shaking tear stricken body, stroking his hair softly.

"I'm so sorry baby boy."

"I thought you were dead." He cried harder. "I thought you were dead."

"I know, I'm sorry."

When me and Joey were both showered and clean, I took him for a ride in my father's impala, letting the roads take us anywhere but home. Today was a beautiful day, super hot, but the sky was bright and the clouds lefts splotches of shade. Joey picked the music today, and of course he started with Queen. He looked like he had completely forgotten the horrible hours he had spent in that closet with his new clothes on and his loud singing voice projecting out to the world.

But I remembered.

I couldn't forget.

And it made me realize that the next time she threatened him...

I was going to have to kill her.

THE LAST CITY

DAY 186 BACK IN THE SCORCH

19:37 HOURS

B u c k

   Thomas was on my ass constantly since what happened with the train, even though he tried to make it look like he wasn't. I always caught him staring staring staring staring s t a r i n g at me. Gally too, but not as often as Thomas. We were inside the walls of the city now, walking through a dark dank hallway with a lit up door in the distance. I was still out of breath from the running, coughing heavily and feeling my arms shake. It was an odd feeling that I wish I was able to stop, but instead I chose to ignore it.

ignoreignoreignoreignore

itswhatimgoodat

ignore.

   Gally was the first to get to the door, his big hand wrapping around the door handle before turning to look at me and Thomas. Our outfits were not ideal considering we were walking into a city where being clean is very important. We were covered in dirt and our clothes were tattered and old, but we could pull off being engineers. That was the only way I saw this working.