Chapter Seventeen : The Mice Come Out to Play

WICKED COMPOUND

DAY 3,520 AFTER SOLAR FLARES

19:12 HOURS

Buck

It's funny how he is standing right there, right in front of me, eating his dinner, and he has no idea it's me. But it's also interesting to watch my brother from afar. He's found his group of friends that he enjoys which I am proud of him for finding. Joey has been isolated for most of his life, so it makes me happy that I didn't screw him up so bad that he would chose isolation.

He fits in here.

That's good.

I should be happy.

I know I should be.

But it hurts so bad.

It hurts so bad to know that he's happy...

And it's because I'm not there.

THE GLADE

DAY 368 IN MAZE TRIALS

21:14 HOURS

Buck

Chaos

That's all this was

Chaos

I never thought I would run through the Glade like my old days out in the Scorch where death was always on my tail. Screaming echoed through the field was always followed by a deadly Greiver screech. They were everywhere, picking the boys off one by one as if they were nothing but ants. One second I'd see someone running and then the next, boom, he's gone.

I had split off from Thomas and Teresa, knowing that if I hid than I would be doing nothing while people were viciously taken. I was already covered in the blood of the beasts after having fought off dozens already, but I couldn't kill any of them. WICKED must have changed something about their armored metal because I couldn't get through it as well as I could before.

I was hunting them just as much as they were hunting me, taking some of them by surprise, others head on. I saved a couple of Gladers as far as I was concerned, but whatever happened to them afterwards was not of my knowledge. Fire was burning wildly in the distance as torches fell to the grass and on the buildings.

I had a pretty good theory as to where the Greivers were bringing the kids they caught. No way would WICKED have pulled a stunt like this where dozens of Immunes die at the hands of their own beasts. It just wasn't possible. So I don't think they were killing the kids, more like taking them away and hanging them up in their labs attached to tubes and wires as if they were machines. Those kids who suffered that fate, they may as well be dead.

I caught sight of a group of Gladers out in the distance so I did what I did best. I charged up to the Greiver, a hateful scream coming from my throat as I slammed my blade right underneath one of it's supporting legs. The beast didn't go down but I certainly got it's attention becasue it whipped it's tail in my direction, slamming me into a tree.

I gasped for air, looking up to see the other Gladers making their escape while I was faced with not just one Greiver, but three. I bet Janson put a nice little bounty on my head because you'd think they would just focus on the Immunes. I slammed my blades together, making sure their attention was on me so that as many Gladers could escape.

Come on you bastards

Come and get me

With the adrenaline pulsing through my veins and sweat pooling over my body, I booked it for the best place I knew I could lose them. Killing them wasn't an option anymore because they leveled up, but that didn't mean I couldn't knock the absolute shit out of them. This was the fun part and I know some of the Gladers found it disturbing to see me smile as I ran for my life. They just never experienced the things I had.