Chapter Fifty-Eight : Tell Me Something Good

Desmond

   Minho was the first to be taken today, but it wasn't for a test. It was for a meeting with Teresa, a meeting I didn't want to, but was forced to attend. I wasn't sure what Minho did to her, but she looked shaken up, sad, and even alone believe it or not. I was going to have to ask him about it later. Right now it was my turn to have a chat with the one and only traitor.

   "Desmond, please talk to me." Teresa begged but I just stared through her head, my thoughts on the horrific memories she returned to me and used to taunt me. "Desmond..."

   "You called her an animal." I cut her off, taking Teresa by surprise. "You called Buck an animal."

   "I'm sorry Desmond." Teresa said, and I could see in her eyes that she meant it. "Truly, I had no idea about any of her abuse."

   "You showed me those memories." I continued. "You probably hand picked them."

   "It was Janson's idea to use them. Nobody consulted me about any of that, I swear." Teresa told me and I rolled my eyes with a groan at the sound of Janson's name. "But I guess that doesn't matter to you though, does it?"

   "No." I answered flatly. "Because you used them anyway, so now I have a question for you."

   "Of course, anything you want to know, ask." Teresa told me, maybe thinking that we were making some process in forgiveness.

   "If you knew that Buck was beaten by our mother because she was protecting me, how could she be an animal?" I asked and Teresa was suddenly flung into her own ignorance.

   I have lived in my own body, I have seen it, and I have also seen parts of Buck's. Her arms, her face, her shoulders, her collarbones. There was not a single scratch or scar on my skin that I hadn't seen or known about. But Buck was covered with them. Scars that weren't tended too properly so they healed janky and painfully, maybe some became infected. Her face was slashed, her body beaten and battered, but we had the same mother. How could she have those horrid marks that will stay with her forever as a wicked reminder of her past, but I am left with a blank slate?

It's a simple answer.

I never went through a beating.

   "Did it ever occur to you that maybe Buck is not the animal you think she is?" I asked her and Teresa sighed. "You spent time around her! She saved us from the Scorch!"

   "Desmond, I am so so sorry!" Teresa tried, but I wanted to kick her in the face. "I wish I had known all of that before I said it."

   "But you were there when she protected us from every danger that went after us, weren't you?" I asked her sharply and there was no response from the girl.

   "Desmond..."

   "I DON'T REMEMBER MY OWN SISTER BECAUSE OF YOU!" I screamed at her, making Teresa jump back in her seat while the soldiers guarding outside peeked through the glass slider door, wondering if they should intervene. "I don't know her because of you! Because of WICKED! All I do know is that she is my sister! That's all I know, and that is all I care about. I will defend her over and over again."

   "Look, Desmond, you have to listen to me, alright?" Teresa then asked me and I stared at her with a deep rooted rage. "Janson told me that you hated your sister before the Glade."

   "I refuse to believe that." I told her in return.

   "It's true Desmond." She told me but I shook my head, feeling my emotions rise hot in my chest. "That's what he told me, so I believed him because I wasn't even thinking."