Chapter Fifty-Nine : Belly of The Beast

MARCUS'S PLACE

942 DAYS BEFORE SOLAR FLARES

12:09 HOURS

Buck

I remember the first time I killed a man. It wasn't my father, though I did count that as my first kill for a very long time. No, but my first real kill was when I took the car out for a drive, hopefully to find some gasoline rather then pay a stupid fucking amount from a guy that was only going to give me a quarter tank. Joey wanted to come with me, and though I was hesitant, I ultimately agreed to it after he spent a couple hours in the closet.

When I was able to siphon some gas from other cars, a group of gang members decided they liked the looks of the car. They also liked the look of me. I was a young girl, not as scared up as I am now, and just all around a lot prettier. They didn't know me, they didn't now my family, and they didn't know that a little girl like me would be carrying around a gun.

I shot them all when they started touching me. I shot all six of them, but it took a couple shots to really kill them. I wasn't immaculate at shooting back then, it had been my first time. Jorge taught me how to use a gun but I don't think I ever thought I would need it. If you are ever wondering why Jorge never saved me from my mother, it was because he had no idea where we were, but that's a whole other story.

Regardless, that was when I killed my first person, and I should have been terrified. I should have been shaking and crying and wondering what kind of person I had become. But I wasn't.

In fact...

It was the first time I ever felt powerful.

THE OUTSKIRTS OF THE LAST CITY

DAY 187 BACK IN THE SCORCH

16.25 HOURS

Buck

I decided to get into my uniform now while the others got their chips removed by Teresa so that we couldn't be detected when we entered the building. Charlie was hanging outside the door of the bathroom while I was changing seen as he didn't need his chip cut out. I threw on the cargo pants, zipped up the jacket, put the bullet proof vest over my chest, and made sure all my guns were accounted for. I had two handguns and one of the launchers that sent out clamps of electricity.

I walked out of the bathroom and Charlie quickly stood up after sitting crisscross on the floor. He looked me up and down and gave me a thumbs up with a wide smile so I ruffled up his hair, but I could tell he was trying to hide his wincing. I shot my hand back immediately but Charlie's face dropped as if he had done something wrong.

     w rrr r o ooo n nn g g g g

   wrongwrongwrongwrongwrong

w
      r
          o
              n
                  gggggggggggg

"It doesn't hurt that much." Charlie assured me, but I continued to leave my hands at my side. "By the way, you look cool as hell."

I looked forward to see Thomas sitting on his chair in front of Teresa getting his chip removed, and he seemed to be the last one. I hated how close she was to him. It made my blood boilboilboilboil

B           O            I             L            L               L

traitortraitortraitor T R A I T O R traitortraitor