Chapter Forty-Two : Road Trip

MARCUS'S PLACE

DAY 5 BACK IN THE SCORCH

13:06 HOURS

Buck

Newt had brought me to an empty room that was apparently near the others. I backed myself into a corner for a while despite Newt's desperate attempts to get me out, but all I did was hide myself in Thomas's jacket. He told me the others had Marcus and that both Thomas and Brenda had been drugged which was what took them so long. Honestly though, I wasn't really listening to him. I felt so alone and so broken as I sobbed to myself. This felt so unnatural that it made me uncomfortable with myself. My shoulder was aching with immense pain and my face and chest stung like a thousand bees had attacked me.

I didn't know what to do.

"Here." Newt said, placing a hand on my shoulder, forcing me to look at him.

The boy lifted his hand towards my face but I grabbed it and held his wrists tightly. There was so much fear bottled up inside of me that it all came out in anger. That was how it was for me and how it was for my mother. Not my father. But that's because I'm not even his kid.

"C'mon Buck." Newt told me with a soft smile. "You know me."

"Don't." I said through gritted teeth but he didn't listen to me, bringing a cloth from his hand up onto my face, wiping away the blood.

"I told the others you were gathering supplies in the other room." Newt told me and I nodded my head, finally allowing him to help me. "Just thought you wanted to gather yourself up before they saw you."

"I can do this on my own." I insisted as I tried to reach up and take the cloth but Newt slapped my hand down.

"I'm fully aware love." He said with a smile but I didn't smile in return.

The things my mother did to me are all like the things she did to me in the past, so you'd think I'd have been able to walk it off. Today though was rough. I had gone through years thinking that my mother had died when I shot her, which meant that I was free, only to find out I fucking missed. I didn't really stick around to double check if she was dead to be fair though.

"You know, I struggled with being venerable too." Newt began as he tried to distract me from the overwhelmingly stinging sensation of the cloth against my open wounds. "I used to keep all this raw emotion trapped inside of me because I didn't want to be anyone's burden."

"This is different." I told him, not trying to downplay him but reminding him that we had two separate lives.

"I don't think it's all that different. I'm not talking about the situation you were in, love. I'm talking about vulnerability." Newt disagreed as he adjusted the cloth in his hand to a less bloody part. "Mind if I..." he said, pointing to my chest which was still dripping with blood.

"Sure." I said and he nodded, placing the rag on my skin, causing me to wince in pain, biting down on my tongue.

"I didn't go through what you did, that's true." He admitted. "But when I got into that Maze with no recollection of who I was... I just, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't feel like me."

I met eyes with the boy but he was paying attention to my wounds, never looking into my eyes. I always knew Newt had some issues while living in the Glade, but I never knew the details. Most of my time spent with WICKED I was just guarding the buildings or Immunes. The only time I got to see the Maze before my time was on a screen when Thomas snuck me into the backrooms. Other than that, their life was a mystery to me.