Chapter Five : Hidden In The Shadows

Desmond

I could see her in the shadows watching everyone with such precision, as if she were judging us and maybe she was. Even if you couldn't see her, I'm sure you could feel her eyes on you anyway. I could tell that people could feel it too, all looking back at her just to make sure she was still there. And never once did she falter. She didn't care. None of the stares or whispers seemed to get into her head.

But she was definitely stuck in mine.

"Hey there." I heard Newt's voice say loudly over the other partying Gladers. "What ya doing there love?"

I turned to face him with a smile as he passed over a drink which I took from him gratefully. The two of us sat down in front of a log, resting our backs against it and feeling the heat of the fire press on our cheeks. But even now that I was relaxed, I couldn't stop staring at her, thinking about her.

"Desmond? Desmond are you there?" Newt's voice called out to me as he waved his hand in front of my face until he finally stole my attention away from Buck. "What's going on in that beautiful head of yours?" He asked me as he twisted my hair around his fingers.

"It's probably nothing." I told him but Newt laughed, shaking his head.

"Saying that won't make it magically go away you know." He brought up to me and I dropped my head, slumping down against his shoulder while he still played with my hair. "You can tell me anything love. Are you having nightmares again?"

"No!" I said quickly, my head still on his shoulder. "Not that, I promise."

"Good that then." Newt said and then moved his head so that he was looking at me and I turned so that I could look at him. "Then what seems to be troubling you?"

"It's Buck." I told him and he nodded. "It's hard to explain."

"Well, would you look at that, it seems as though I have all the time in the world for you to find the right words." He said and I smiled, lifting my head off of his shoulders and shifting my body so that I was fully facing him. He turned to face me as well, his head in his hand and a comforting smile across his face.

"I don't know if I can explain it." I told him and his gaze got softer.

"Try me."

I took a deep breath, ready to pour out whatever weird feelings I had deep inside me, when suddenly I felt my face being pushed to the side. My body was tossed backwards and so was Newt's as, low and behold, Minho the queen bee himself forced his way right in between the two of us like the dick he was.

"Ugh, I'm sorry but the public affection was making me sick lover boys." Minho announced loudly as he stole my drink, basically gulping down the entire damn thing.

"This isn't PDA shuck face." Newt reminded him as he slapped the cup out of Minho's hand.

"We could show you real PDA." I said flatly but Minho starting gagging like a child.

"It's even worse then PDA my poor friend, it's GPDA."

"What the bloody hell are you going on about?" Newt asked defensively while I just rolled my eyes at Minho, knowing exactly where he was going with this.

"Gay Public Display of Affection." Minho told us. "Gross."

"You're an asshole." I told him but Minho shrugged it off, bumping me with his shoulder.

"Correction, I'm a pretty asshole, get it right."

I couldn't help but smile and laugh at him which lead to Newt finally breaking as well. Minho was an ass but he was my best friend believe it our not. I wouldn't be able to name the amount of times he had protected us. I don't think anyone actually cared about the fact that we were gay, they just reveled in the idea that there was someone to make fun of because we were different. But out of this entire Glade of boys, some of us had to be gay right?