Chapter Thirty-Four : Desert Days

Desmond

   It happened so quickly that I didn't have time to react before Winston collapsed into the sand. I felt my eyes widen with fear as the entire group fell to their knees next to the boy, Charlie accidently tripping backwards. Everyone started calling out Winston's name in a panic as we watched and listened to him gasping for air, his pale body shaking and twitching uncontrollably. I knew that if his wound went without medication then something like this would happen, and the pills in my pockets wouldn't fix this.

   I pushed my way through the others so that I was right next to Winston, leaning over his torso and looking at his wound. Me, Buck, and Charlie weren't there when it happened but apparently five Cranks ripped open his stomach. I didn't need to unbandage him to see that the cloths we wrapped around his torso weren't enough. They were stained with his black tainted blood and you could smell the horrid stench of withering skin from a mile away.

   Suddenly, pushing me out of the way was Buck, yanking me by the hem of my shirt and throwing me into the sand. I heard a familiar click and whipped my head around just in time to see Buck point her gun at  Winston's head. I watched in horror as Buck's finger wrapped around the trigger while everyone else screamed at her to stop.

   "NO!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, gripping her arm just in time to point it in the air and away from Winston as she let the bullet fly.

   Buck's head turned aggressively in my direction and I would never forget that fire in her eyes as she slammed me back into the ground. Frypan jumped in front of Winston as Buck loaded up another around, blocking her from shooting the injured boy. Charlie stood in the back of the group, terror across his young face and I could tell that he was making sure there wasn't a bullet in him like it ended up with Chuck. I got back to my feet quickly, standing up in Buck's face with a mix of emotions running through my body.

   "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!" I screamed in her face with anger but she seemed unfazed.

   "Get out of my way." She said and I was taken aback by the darkness in her tone. "Frypan, move."

   "He's Immune, remember?!" Charlie shouted desperately but Buck paid no attention to it.

   "Buck, don't do this."

   "It has to be done." Buck responded, turning to face me. "Don't make this harder than it has to be."

   "We're talking about Winston's life here!" I yelled at her, pointing to our dying friend. "What is wrong with you?"

   "Desmond, move." She told me harshly but I stood my ground.

   "Make me."

   "Desmond I won't ask you again."

   "I'm not moving."

   "Guys." Newt tried to come between us but the tension between me and Buck was so strong he didn't get too close. "This isn't solving our problem."

   "He's suffering." Buck told us, looking at each of us individually before looking down to Winston as he struggled to breathe. "I'll make it quick."

   "Buck, get away from Winston or I swear to god." I said but I couldn't think of any way to really threaten her. "Put the gun away."

   "It's for his own good." Buck said but I refused to believe her, whether she was right or not.

   "THIS ISN'T YOU'RE DECISION TO MAKE!" I screamed in her face but Buck wasn't going to back down.

   "Joey, I have had enough of this shit!" She finally yelled back to me. "I'm doing this and I'm doing it now."