Chapter Sixty-Four : The Last City

ABANDONED WAREHOUSE

DAY 753 AFTER SOLAR FLARES

17:08 HOURS

Buck

   We had been pretending as if my father wasn't dying for too long. Jorge had been trying to think of a plan, my mother was drinking from a flask she had in her pocket, Joey didn't even understand what was going on. But I did. I knew. Because it was my fault. My father's wound had stopped bleeding, bandaged up, but that didn't stop the virus. I watched him from afar, twitching and fiddling with his fingers, sometimes his eyes would wonder and he'd lose himself for a moment.

We all knew how this was going to end.

   I found it within myself to finally get out of the dark corner I had hidden myself in and crawled over to my father. Jorge had walked over to Joey who was sitting by himself, playing with his little metal airplane. When I got over to my father, I gently put my hand on his shoulder and his face turned quickly over to me, his eyes irritated and crazed for a second before he realized it was me. I was scared about what was going on inside his head.

   "Hi dad." I signed to him and he smiled to me with a tired pain filled face.

   "Hey Little Soldier." He smiled back.

   "I'm scared." I told him and his eyes softened to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders and pulling me close to him.

   He started crying so I cried too, both of us too silent for anyone to notice us. Eventually, I pulled away from him and looked into his infected eyes. I hated seeing him in so much pain. I hated that this happened because of me. My father was the only good thing left in the world in my opinion, besides Joey of course, but that was because he was a spitting image of my father.

   "You have to be brave." My father told me with strong eye contact. "You will have to fight every day to survive, but I know you can do it."

   "I don't want to do it without you." I signed to him but he shook his head with a smile.

   "I believe in you, in your strength." He signed confidently. "I believe in the things you can do. You have to become strong."

   "I want to be."

    "You will be." He assured to me, touching my nose softly. "Your brother needs you to be. Your mother won't protect you, you have to protect yourself from now on."

   "You really believe in me?" I asked him even though he had already expressed this to me.

   "More than I believe in God the almighty himself." My father signed to me with a smile, making me cry even more. "Never let anyone hurt you Frankie Buck."

   "I won't."

   "Be strong."

   "I will."

   "I love you."

   "I love you too."

He touches my cheek softly.

   "I'll see you again in the stars."

That hug we then shared was our last.

Because I used my knife to end his suffering.

DAY 1      8               7 sCORCH
                               B A C K  I N  S C O R C H
                                                         R
                                                     E
                                                  A
                                              P
                                          E
                                      R