Chapter Sixty-Seven : I Can't Hear You

THE GLADE

DAY 31 IN MAZE TRIALS

13:16 HOURS

Buck

I'm hauling a body off into the Deadheads, looking for the graveyard that was established a while ago by the 'Gladers'. I was still getting used to their terms and ways, but even though they all tried to teach me, a lot of the time I chose not to listen. Being a Bagger was nice and it was the only job I was allowed to have seen as Runner wasn't an option and I was too impatient for everything else.

The Keeper of the Baggers, Billy, was a cool dude, but everyone thought him and the other Baggers were creepy. I didn't think so, I thought they were just doing their job. Billy said that if I kept going the way I was going, I was going to become the Keeper of the Baggers instead of him. He said he hated being the Keeper anyway so the job was mine if it ever came to that. I didn't want it either, but if it meant getting closer to Joey, sure, I'll take it.

As I finally found the graveyard, I threw the corpse to the ground, wiping the sweat off my brow. This guy was a Builder who suffered a heatstroke while working on making a tower to look over the Glade. The kid didn't make it long, and with the summer being longer this year I was anticipating more boys to suffer the same fate. I've been trying to warn people, but the only boys who don't run away from me screaming was the Keepers and little Charlie.

Regardless, I took the shovel that stood up in the dirt, ready to bury this poor kid into the ground. As I dug up the first pile of dirt, I heard the snapping and crackling of dead leaves and twigs. I didn't lift my head up immediately, assuming it was Charlie walking over to find me because he was bored out of his mind. The kid didn't have a job before I got here so he bounced from place to place, but now he's my official translator. I was a little confused considering the kid was terrified of the woods.

"Buck." A strong ominous voice announced, making my blood skyrocket in temperature because it certainly wasn't Charlie.

I slowly turned around, gripping the shovel tighter in my hands, looking at the man who stood before me. I hated just the way that Janson looked, something about the permanent sneer on his face made me want to rip his tongue out of his head and shove it up his fucking ass. I was surprised he would ever risk being spotted in the Glade but I'm sure if he was, he could just wipe the memory away from the unlucky boy who caught him.

"How are you adjusting to your new life?" He asked me with his stupid annoying voice.

I just glared at him.

"Are you enjoying your time with your dear old brother?"

I wasn't able to talk, but that was still something I was getting used to, so I opened my mouth up to threaten him, but nothing came of it. Janson laughed at me as I immediately shut my mouth out of anger and, unfortunately, embarrassment. I looked so stupid and vulnerable and I hated it so fucking much.

"Oh I'm sorry, what was that?" Janson asked me, picking up his hand and placing it around his ear tauntingly. "I couldn't hear you."

What a fucking dick.

sTREEEEETS bomb BOOM

NiiiiiGHT

I DON'T KNOW THE T I M E

BuckbuckbuckbuckBUCKbuck