Caden

I slowly continued walking wondering if maybe he didn't take the hint. Finally when I was five houses away from mine, I turned around to look at him skeptically. He raised his hands in the air in surrender. 

He look slightly flustered, "listen I swear I'm not following you. My dorm is also this way. I can hang back though and let you get home first. I promise I'm not trying to be a creep."

I looked him up and down and sighed. He seemed genuine and he was kind to me the entire evening also it seemed rude to tell him to walk away in the cold just to come back in the same direction again. "No it's fine, we can walk together."

He smiled and we walked side by side to my temporary home. When I got to my dorm I veered off  from the path murmuring a goodbye again. 

 "Caden." He whispered. I blinked at him baffled. "My name is Caden." He clarified. 

"Odette." I replied.

"Well Odette, I'll see you tomorrow." 

I purposely fumbled with my keys so I could sneakily watch Caden. I was just curious to see which house he lived it. I promise I'm not a stalker. To my utter surprise he walked right into the house next to mine. I quickly stepped into my dorm baffled at the coincident to have the only person I talked to in this college also be my next door neighbor. 

I kicked off my shoes and got comfortable on the couch knowing I promised my mom I would call her tonight and that she would keep talking for at least an hour. 

————————————

A shrill beep sounded and I whipped around to quickly hit the button that would silence the demonic device. I crawled out of bed not excited about how early I had to get up for this class but at the same time happy to be in a class where I might learn something. 

It was a self defense class which I was secretly pumped for. I would rather learn how to punch someone than sit at a desk. But, I was also extremely nervous. What if I looked like fool while learning? I wasn't the most athletic person ever.

I threw on a baggy t-shirt, a jacket over it and a pair of leggings that made my ass look great. I walked out my door, locked it behind me and jogged to the main building so I didn't freeze to death. 

The class took place in the gymnasium, when I got there some students were already warming up with stretching. I awkwardly copied their stretches while trying not to make it obvious. A sharp clap jolted me out of my weird squating stretch. I glanced up to who I assumed was the teacher. 

He seemed younger maybe a few years older than me. He had dark brown hair and a full beard growing. He placed his hands on his hips and looked all his students over. The class was only girls and his gaze seemed more predatory than a simple assessment of our body strength. 

He bared his teeth and grunted, "alright, everyone's favorite warmup, laps. Run five of them and don't stop unless you have to throw up. The trash bins in the corner."

My eyes widened, slightly surprised. What teacher talks like that to their students? I followed behind the other girls, we started off pretty fast but soon slowed to a crawl. 

Our labored breathing became synced as we finished our last lap. We doubled over panting while our teacher, who still hadn't even introduced himself, started yelling at us to join him over on the opposite side of the gym.

After being reprehended about not moving fast enough, he instructed us on what stretches to do in order to stretch out specific muscles. His stare made the hair on the back of my neck raise and I became extra aware of where he was at all times.