Caspian

Odette

Buzzz. Still half asleep, I reached towards the bedside table with my hand, seeking to find my phone. I realized I was pinned down into the mattress by Caden, who had decided that sleeping on top of me was the most comfortable position, sometime throughout the night. I attempted to shove him off of me but gave up soon after, this man was made of pure steel. 

Instead, I aggressively smacked his armed with an open palm. It was another failed attempt and Caden only buried deeper into my left boob. The urgent buzzing continued from Caden's table I craned my neck and realized it wasn't my phone that was blowing up, but Caden's. I leaned close to Caden's ear, "someone keeps calling you."

He jerked away and grabbed his phone, "oh shit."

 His phone was instantly plastered to his ear before I could ask him who was calling him, "what's wrong?"

I watched his facial expression change from confusion to pure horror. He sputtered and couldn't seem to get a full sentence out. His mouth opened and closed with incoherent words spewing out. 

Finally, something said over the phone pulled him out of his trance. His hand gripped his phone even tighter and his expression turned angry, "what do you mean? Of course I'm going to be there. You think I'm just going to leave him. I already fucked up."

Caden choked at the end of his sentence, I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him as close as I could to me. I offered the only comfort I could give. This action snapped something in Caden and he completely broke down, sobbing into my hair. 

The phone in his hand became forgotten, but was still connected to the call. I hesitated for a moment before lightly peeling his phone from his hand. He didn't put up any resistance and let it go quickly. 

I placed it to my ear, "hello?" I softly asked.

A firm but soft spoken voice answered, "hello, Odette. This is Caden's pack mate, Ronan. I'm sorry to say, but Dante wasn't as safe as we thought he was. He's currently in the hospital, we haven't heard any information yet." I gasped and pressed my hand against my mouth to stifle the noise.

Ronan droned on, "I will keep you and Caden updated when I know anything. Could you keep Caden home? I don't want him driving to the hospital in his condition."

"Of course." I answered still not processing that Dante, the huge, intimidating, tatted alpha was in the hospital. 

"Thank you, tell him, I'm staying at the hospital. Atlas is out looking for help and Caspian is on his flight back right now. When he gets there, he can take Caden and you, if you want, to the hospital."

"Okay," I whispered. 

"Alright. Thank you again, I've got to go, take care of Caden for me."

The line beeped, indicating that he ended the call. I relayed the information back to Caden while stroking his back. He only squeezed his arms tighter around me, gulping in mouthfuls of air. He became quiet after some time passed. I assumed he fell asleep and tried to roll out of bed to scrounge through the cabinet and see if there was any cereal, but Caden pulled me back with a groan.

I tucked the blanket around his shoulder and snuggled closer to his warmth, deciding to wait him out. I put his phone on my other side so I could be alerted when it rang without stressing Caden out even more. 

I jerked awake to a familiar vibration against my back. I scrubbed a hand down my face cursing myself. How could I have fallen asleep? After making sure Caden was undisturbed, I picked up the phone and answered, glancing at the name didn't help decipher who was calling because Caden had changed their name in his contacts to some cheesy nickname.