A Mess

Slippery, dark red liquid covered the foyer. Chunks of mangled light pink pieces of flesh and internal organs were scattered among the gore.

I gagged.

Caden spun around, firmly mashing my face into his chest, blocking my view. 

My stomach rolled, my throat contracted. I swallowed, forcing it down.

A heavy thud sounded from below us, I tried to jerk out of Caden's hold to see what was making the noise.

I was aware of a sickening crunch, Atlas's voice ringing in my ear, and an arm wrapped protectively around my back. The present faded around me and I was pulled into the past, the crack as my head hit the floor. The tingling in my fingers as I lost blood.

A hand grasps my shoulder jilting me out of a flashback. Ronan was trying to herd us into a vacant guest room.

Caden refused, "Stop fucking manhandling me. I can handle myself."

His frustration was evident as he pushed Ronan away. I swallowed spit, trying to moist my itchy, dry throat. 

"What's happening?" I whispered, terrified to speak above a tremble.

Ronan, calm as always gently spoke in my ear, matching my soft tone, "a not so welcomed friend stopped by. Everyone is perfectly fine. They are working it out as we speak."

Atlas's voice puncture the end of his reassuring statement, "If you don't tell me what fucking shithead sent you. I'll eat your other kidney."

I froze. It didn't sound like anything was being worked out other than someone's quickly approaching funeral.

"It's fucking Gavin again isn't it. That fucktard."

"Who's Gavin?" I murmured.

Caden opened his mouth, but Ronan cut him off, "nobody to worry about, sweetheart. Now how about we move down the hall and give them some space."

"Oh please. Don't give her that crap." Caden fixed me with a serious look, "Gavin is a -" a loud crunch sounded from downstairs follow by Atlas's roar of pain which drowned out Caden's sentence.

Ronan eyes widened but still tried to gently push us into the guest room, "please go in and lock the door. I'll be right back."

Caden snorted, but slowly trudged into the guest room, pulling me along with a tight grip on my sleeve.

Once Caden had inspected the room and barricaded us inside the bathroom, he finally relaxed and the tension between his shoulder blades melted.

I tapped his shoulder, pulling his aqua eyes towards me, "who's Gavin?" I asked again, still curious.

He sighed and roughly dragged his hand down the side of his face, "he's a high ranking demon like Atlas. He's a very dangerous assassin who rarely ever ..." he trailed off a look of horror crossed his face, "travels alone." He finished his thought making me stiffen.

The loud crack ripped through the air. The sound of wood splintering reached my ears. A similar sound echoed the first and the wooden door to the bathroom was ripped off its hinges. 

I chocked in air. Two men stood in front of the door, each dresses head to toe in black gear. The outfit looked thick enough to stop bullets and shimmer with a hint of magic.

Four red eyes stared back at me through the slits in the mask. I sucked in air to scream but my throat contracted and the air refused to leave. 

I curled into Caden's side pathetically gasping for air. Caden understood the danger and threw himself in front of my body, shielding me. He yelled for help. "Atlas! Caspian! Ro-"