Apology

After turning on the shower to give myself a moment of peace without anyone listening, I slumped to the floor. I stared at the water droplets leaking from the shower head for minutes maybe hours before I picked myself off the floor. My armor had hardened. I will apologize, but I would humiliate myself.

I slowly peaked around the door and breathed a sigh of relief. Dante was sound asleep sprawled out in the center of my bed, meaning I didn't have to engage in anymore tense conversation. I slipped into my bed and struggled to yank out my blanket from under Dante. After a few minutes of pulling with all my strength, I gave up. 

I snatched a pillow from under Dante's head and hugged it to my chest. I practiced breathing slowly to sooth my racing heart while trying to convince myself that it wasn't a big deal at all. Everything would be fine. My phone buzzed and I scooped it up, happy for any distraction. 

An email from the school popped onto my screen. I clicked on it and scrolled down, they assured us the school was perfectly safe, but understood if some wanted to take courses online for a few weeks. They wanted to know how many students would be going back to school and which would be taking classes online.

I kept scrolling to find that school started the day after tomorrow. I chewed my bottom lip. Should I go? I made everything so awkward maybe it was best for me to take a break from this situation. 

I could let everything settle down and maybe, only if they wanted, I could come back? I closed my eyes and blew out a breath. I looked back at my bright screen with a clear mind. I filled out the form the school had linked and clicked the box that said I would be returning back to school.

After, I threw my phone on the floor and buried my face into the pillow. I would just have to find a way to explain my decision of returning to the school without hurting Caden's feelings. 

————————————

I stomped down the stairs the next morning already in a bad mood. I had to wrestle my way out of my own bed because Dante decided that he wasn't just going to take up my entire bed, but also sleep on top of me. 

I woke up completely smothered and deprived of oxygen. After I survived the cuddly bear attack, I remembered that I had to face everyone today and then tell Caden I was leaving.

"Quit it, Odette. Take your tantrum elsewhere, some of us have work to do." Atlas roared from somewhere below. 

I huffed, "fuck off."

I heard a sound like choking and laughter. Then, the scraping sound of a chair abruptly being shoved backwards. Oh shit. I forget they could hear that. I froze on the step and intently listened to see if someone was coming. Luckily I only heard harsh murmurs from the kitchen.

I quietly made my way down the rest of the stairs. I straightened my posture while walking into the kitchen. I wasn't going to let Atlas bully me into hiding again. Besides, I'm leaving today to go back to live at the school anyways. I'm sure he'll be happy.

I walked into the kitchen to find Atlas sitting at the island countertop, glaring at me. Caden was sitting beside him. Caden turned his attention towards me, he looked apologetic.

"First, I want to apologize about what you saw the other day and how Caspian reacted. Second, I talked to Caspian and you should receive an apology from him as well. Third, Dante told me Atlas was being a dick which he will also fix and will have to go above and beyond because of the stunt he pulled just now." Caden dropped a finger at every point.

A smiled softly back at him while avoiding looking at Atlas and the death stare he was surely giving me. He was so polite when I first met him, what changed?