It's no big deal

CADEN'S POV:

The gunshot startled me, causing me to drop my fork with a clatter that echoed throughout the silent room. I quickly glanced over at Odette who looked petrified. I instantly lowered myself into a crouch beside her chair and tucked her body against mine to try and shelter her from the unpredictable world. 

Dante's clean, warm scent filled the space and I could tell Dante was also trying to soothe Odette, but his scent had an angry and wild taint to it. I motioned with my head, indicating for him to go check out the situation. I pulled gently Odette out of her chair onto my my own and arranged her to sit comfortably on my lap.

Dante quickly ran out of the room, his phone pulled out and pressed his ear and a gun in his other hand. As the door closed behind him, the noise seemed to jolt Odette out of her moment of peaceful shock.

I remember the first time I heard a gunshot, I swear I didn't sleep for a week it frightened me so bad.

I just had to figure out how I will explain to Odette, who just started to trust Dante, that my pack may or may not be a bunch of blood thirty monsters. How do I tell her that she will see and hear a lot worse than gunshots now that she has associated herself with us? I can't really blame them, they can't control what families they were born into.

Odette straightened up in my lap and I knew now was the time to channel my inner nurturing alpha and straighten all the confusion out. "Hey princess, I'm sorry you had to witness that. I promise that has never happened here before. I know security has been notified and people were arrested. It was just a silly argument."

I winced internally at my lie. I had no clue who shot the weapon or what caused the disruption. I had faith that Dante would take care of it and keep us safe. He was like a guard dog, very protective of the people he loved and batshit crazy towards everyone else. 

"Who brings a gun into a restaurant?" Odette's soft, still dazed voice asked.

Cough Dante cough. "Crazy people, some people just don't think straight."

Odette's forehead wrinkled, her head then shot up and I sighed knowing she probably just realized that Dante was absent from the room. How the fuck was I supposed to explain that? 

I wanted to tell Odette everything right then and there but I knew I made a promise to Atlas, I would keep my mouth shut about everyone else's personal life until they wanted to tell Odette themselves.

"Where's Dante. He was just here."

Ah fuck, "he went to go check out what was happening but -"

"What!" Odette snapped at me like it was my fault, "that's completely insane. Why would he go down there. Let the police handle it. That's stupid. Literally stupid. Tell him to come back right now."

"Yes ma'am." I kissed her the tip of her nose in an attempt to hide the grin that wanted to overtake my face, nobody could ever get through to Dante when he had a new idiotic idea. I bet one text from me telling him Odette wanted to see him or Odette disagreed with his approach and he would come running back.

I pulled out my phone and tipped off a text to Dante, but never received one back. I swiped through my phone to find numerous calls and messages from the rest of the pack asking if Odette and I were okay. I quickly replied, reassuring them so they weren't pissed that I completely ignored them later.

"Did he respond? Is he coming back?" Odette's twisted, anxious face filled my view.

"No, he hasn't responded yet. But that doesn't mean anything he usually ignores his phone. We'll wait a few minutes and then I'll call him okay."

Odette nodded, satisfied with my answer, for the moment at least. She settled back into my awaiting arms and I tightly wrapped them around her. Her breathing started to even out so I pulled away to reach for my phone. 

I dialed his number and picked at a scab on my knuckles while it rang. Her worry for him was rubbing off on me now. I didn't get an answer, which wasn't unusual for him. Still, I found myself calling Atlas. 

It rang for half a second before he answered, his voice even gruffer than usual over the phone. "Give me all the fucking details."

I quickly recited what happened and told him that Dante left and hasn't been back. Atlas snarled over the phone, "you two wait there. Keep the girl safe. I'll get a hold of Dante, that reckless motherfucker."

He promptly hung up and I thanked the gods that Odette was asleep and I didn't have to explain to her that Dante was missing now.

To be fair he was probably having the time of his time 'questioning' someone but I felt better knowing Atlas was onto it. After few moments of silence, the shrill ringing of my phone echoed throughout the room. I grabbed it hoping it hadn't disturbed Odette, "Yep."

Atlas's curt replied greeted me, "Dante's fine, I tracked his phone to some alleyway. I'll straighten him out when he comes home. I sent a cab to him. He's probably not in any shape to be going back for you two. Don't worry about the bill and get out of there. Dante cleared out the jackass who fired that gun in my place. You're safe. Call me if you need anything."

"Okay, bye." I managed to squeeze in before he could hang up. 

Atlas someone who never bothered with small talk and always got straight to the point. It was difficult to be in a romantic relationship with him sometimes, but at least he got shit done. 

I turned my full attention to Odette and gently shook her awake. I watched her nose scrunch up adorably, and regretted having to wake her at all. I leaned in close to inhale pure caramel drizzle with a splash of vanilla, "Odette, we have got to go, sweetheart."

She opened her mouth and I guessed that she was going to ask about Dante so I interrupted, "Dante fine and safe, getting a scolding from Atlas. I'm going to drive us home."

Odette looked drained as I helped her up and walked her towards the back entrance of restaurant. I can't blame her, she met an alpha and witnessed her first gunshot. I led her into the car, securely buckled her in and got a blanket from the trunk to tuck around her. I got into my own side of the car and took note that Odette was already half asleep.

We arrived back home an hour later than the drive should have been because of the extra care I took to drive slowly so Odette could sleep. I quietly shut my door and pulled her out of the car. I shifted her into my arms until I had a firm hold of her before unlocking the door into the house. I was met by silence and darkness. Where was everyone? 

Were they respecting Odette's wish of wanting to meet them all on her own time or were they really not here? A small part of me assumed that someone would be here when I got home. I sighed and snuck up the stairs to put Odette in her room. She woke up halfway to her room, "Caden, can we have a sleepover?" 

Her squinty I just woke up eyes mixed with her rough still half asleep voice would have won anyone over. I smiled, "of course. My room or yours?"

She seemed to think this over for quite a bit while I stood in the middle of the hallway trying to hide the shaking of my arms. I mean sure I lift some weights, but of course I'm going to feel the burn from holding a 130 pound person for more than five minutes without a break. All that time the guys carried me around, I never realized how heavy a person really is. I guess I don't give them enough credit for their muscles. But then again, I'm just an omega, I didn't exactly get the super strength in my DNA. 

"We can go in your room." Odette declared and then snuggles back into my shoulder. I speed to my room and set her down on my bed.

I grabbed a shirt and sweatpants out of my closet for her to change into. While she changed in the bedroom, I took that moment to grab a quick shower and change out of my formal attire and into my own pair of sweatpants and a plain white shirt.

Odette looked like she had already made herself comfortable, curled up in my sheets. I became giddy knowing that my bed would smell like her as long as I didn't wash my blankets right after. I slide into bed behind her pulling her towards me. She collapsed into my hold, knowing she was safe. Eventually I dozed off too.

What do we think of Dante?

Do we like Caden's POV?