Secret meeting

ODETTE'S POV: 

I flipped the flimsy page in my book, trying to pass the time. Dante had returned last night and they barricaded themselves into Atlas's office, talking in sharp, hushed voices. Every few hours one of them would come out and peek into whatever room I had taken residency in. 

The last candidate, Atlas, who had stomped all the way down the hall and roughly flung the door to the library open before making eye contact and spinning back around and slammed the door shut behind him.

A few times I attempted to sneak down the hallway. The closest I came to the office was two hallways down before they heard me and ceased their secretive whispering.

I soon realized it was futile to try and listen to their conversation because even if I stepped on the corners of the stairs so they didn't creak, they would hear my breathing coming closer.

So, just to piss them off I slipped into the farthest room from their hideout so they couldn't hear every heartbeat. Now, they resorted to checking in on me every now and again, shoving a heaping plate full of food or a glass of water into my lap before running back to their secret meeting.

My phone vibrated on my lap, drawing my attention from my dull book. I threw it aside, eager for a distraction. An unknown number popped onto my screen. I clicked on it, curious. Maybe it was someone from school?

I pressed it against my ear and stood up to back further into the room to ensure nobody could eavesdrop. If I can't listen in on their private conversations why should they be able to listen to mine?

The second I answered the call a warm, enthusiastic voice filled the stillness of the library. "Hey, Kevin! I was hoping you still had my shirt I loaned you?" 

He paused, there was pure silence between us, "Kevin?"

"I'm sorry you have the wrong person." I blurted out before smashing the red button.

As soon as I hung up Caspian barreled in. He snatched my phone out of my hand and crumbled it in his fist, leaving the dust bits to fall in a crumbled pile on the floor beneath him.

"Caspian!" I yelled, furious he yet again refused to use his words.

He scowled down at me, "why would you answer a phone call from someone you didn't know?"

"Because..." I sputtered, blushing.

I screwed my lips shut, not allowing myself to embarrass myself anymore.

Caden pressed past him and rushed to my side, pulling me into a bruising hug. "Baby, oh baby."

I frowned and tried to shrug out of his grip, not understanding why he was clinging onto me so tightly. Atlas came through the door next, I watched him jerk his head towards the door and Caspian left without another glance in my direction. 

I wanted to think Atlas would give him an earful for destroying my property, but I knew Atlas wasn't on anyone's side and if he was it definitely wasn't mine.

I turned to Caden, pleased their secret meeting had finally ended and I had his full attention. Caden directed me to a chair, looking oddly nervous as he chew on his bottom lip. His thumb stroked my inner thigh, just inches from my core. He had become more touchy after the scene with Ronan and I couldn't be more pleased.

As time went on, I became more desperate to be around Caden. My heart beat faster after he left me alone for too long. My thoughts surrounded Caden and my eyes struggled to leave him when I was around him.

I wasn't sure if that was normal for mates or if it was an omega thing or if it was just me. I was too humiliated to ask, afraid of my lack of knowledge and being seen as too inexperienced.

Caden curled my body against his and rocked my body slowly in a comforting way, but it seemed to be more for him. He murmured nonsense in his accented language in an odd chant that got louder and louder as if he was trying to calm himself down, but couldn't.

I turned towards him and pressed my palm against his rapidly beating chest to draw his attention towards me, "Caden, what's wrong?" I questioned as soon as I had his attention.

His lips pursed, "nothing, sugar."

I raised an eyebrow at that, since when does he call me sugar. He was obviously lying through his teeth. From the way his forehead wrinkled, he knew that I was onto his lie. 

"What was the meeting about?" I asked, prying.

"What meeting?" Caden asked while looking at a spot above my head, refusing to look me in the eye.

"The one that was so important you had to barricade the doors and lock me out."

"Just work stuff. I am thinking about going on a trip, somewhere warm maybe the Bahamas or Costa Rica. What do you think? Get out of the cold for a bit?"

I narrowed my eyes he was most certainly trying to dodge this line of questioning. "No, I don't want to go somewhere warm. I want answers."

He sheepishly buried his face in my neck and didn't speak about the topic again. After pestering him with more questions it was clear he was going to hold firm with his silence and secrecy. 

The door slammed open again, this time only Atlas entered. He handed me a new phone. He tapped the screen and my lock screen on my last phone appeared. "How?" I asked.

"Your new phone is already synced up with the new one." His brow furrowed and he leaned in close until I could see the lighter specks in his eyes, "don't answer the phone from an unknown number."

With that half threatening statement, he swiftly exited. I understood some concern for my safety, but crushing my phone and buying me a whole new one was going too far. I would understand a little more if Caden was acting this crazy. I had read stories in class about mated males who had gone ballistic because their partner was in danger. But, why were the others acting like this? They barely even tolerated me. Dante and Ronan maybe liked me a little more but still...

I pushed off Caden's lap and left the room as well, ignoring his distressed exhale. If he wanted to give me the silent treatment, he would get the same back. I wasn't going to keep talking to a wall. 

As I made my way back to my room, my phone buzzed. I glanced down, remembering Atlas's warning as the number popped up on my screen. An unknown number. I hung up and continued to inspect my new phone and figure out how much this phone really had from my old one.

While I insured all my photos were added to this new one, the same number popped up again. This time it was a voicemail. I clicked on it, skeptical, but I wasn't answering the phone I was just listening to what they had to say. 

"Odette," there was a large pause and a shaking inhale of breath, "it's - it's mom. I have something important to tell you. When I was," there was a gasp and she grunted, "I'm not saying that." 

A thud sounded through the phone which stole my breath, "mom." I whispered forgetting this wasn't a call.

"When I was with your father, your real father. I was - I was a bad mother and a cheater and a disgrace and I slept with someone else. I am so sorry for making you a half breed. Your - what" there was another loud thwack, "your real daddy will come find you and keep you safe. You should have always been his."

There was a loud sob and I pressed my hand to my mouth in horror. 

"Odette, run!"

I screamed as the voicemail abruptly off. 

This was an old draft I had kept that's didn't fit in at that point in the story. I had to fix it up a bit, but rereading this story more made me realize how much I had to fix about it and how I literally had no clue what I was doing. 

I can promise that my new story will be regularity updated and will be so much more organized than this one. Make sure to check it out and I will try and plan this book better in the future!