Her Mother

ATLAS'S POV:

I rolled the cigarette between my fingers as I stewed in the dark corner. I barely got a moment of peace before Caspian barged in. I sighed, irritation simmered.

I glanced at him, giving him a tenth of my attention too tired to deal with him. I already knew what he was going to rant about.

"That girl," he seethed, proving me right, "needs to get the hell out of our lives."

"We invited her here." I offered.

"We did not. Caden begged us not to argue."

"What does it matter. She isn't bothering anyone and Caden's happier."

"That human is stealing him from us. Soon, she'll convince him to abandon us. She's his mate, he needs her. He only wants us."

I knew Caspian depended on us more than he would ever admit, especially Caden. The little omega who held together the entire pack, without Caden we would just be a group of guys who lived under the same roof. 

He made us a family, something that Caspian latched onto after being denied that his entire life. 

"She isn't trying to steal Caden. Maybe if you made an effort to be pleasant to her, she would warm up to you more."

"Like how you warmed up to her. You practically ran her out of the house!"

I shot upright, "no," I moved into Caspian's personal space, we were almost eye to eye, "you ran her out. Caden has every right to still hold onto that grudge."

Caspian snarled and opened his mouth to retort. Then froze. We moved in perfect sync, after years to knowing each other. I moved left, he shuffled right. We advanced towards the front door.

A soft knock rang out as Caspian shifted into the shadows and I pulled the door open. A slimy male stood in front of my with the smugness of a man who just tracked down his arch nemesis.

"Gavin," I said, keeping all emotion from my voice, "what brings you here."

I kept my body in the doorway, blocking his view, and ensuring that he knew he wasn't invited in.

Gavin smiled and pressed his palms on the top of his head to smooth down his already gelled back hair. I scoffed, the stench of expensive gel and over sprayed cologne filled my sensitive nose.

He smiled, "just checking in on an old pal." He not so discreetly tried to peer over my shoulder in my home. I didn't even have to shift to block his view, I was about half a foot taller than him, he wasn't seeing anything.

He frowned and nervously pulled at the collar of his three piece suit. Who was he trying to impress? 

"Come on. Don't be like that. I have information you might want."

"No thanks. Get lost." I went to shut the door, not wanting to be drawn into whatever scheme Gavin was cooking up. He was always involved in something. But, the thing that really made me hate him was his weird obsession for Caden. He tried repeatedly to win him over.

"It's about that girl." He sang.

I growled. What is it with people today trying to humiliate Odette by calling her 'that girl.' I heard Caspian's eerily slow heartbeat move closer until he stopped behind the door. He was just as interested as I was.

Gavin's sharp grin showed how much he enjoyed having us at his mercy. I ground my teeth together, only half believing the words that spew from his mouth. 

"Spit it out." I snap. 

"I don't even get an offer of tea or a fresh biscuit?"

"No."