Hospital visit

Caden insisted on curling up in the back seat with a blanket, which left little room for me. This attention forced me to sit up front with Caspian. I turned my body away from him and watched the greenery outside the window. Caden was shortly asleep again and Caspian drove in silence, no radio, no music, just utter silence.

I know I said I wanted to meet Caden's pack, but this was a little quicker than I thought and I also didn't realize how intimidating they all were. I did believe Dante was very sweet, just looked very scary and Ronan sounded caring. Caspian on the other hand wasn't even trying to start a conversation with me. 

Everyone else had put in effort to make sure I was comfortable and made me feel as if I was a part of the pack. Caspian wasn't putting in any effort. Did he not like me? Did he not approve of the bond Caden and I share?

I tried to quiet down my jumpy thoughts. He was probably just worried about his actual pack mate that he's known for years rather than some girl he just met.

I finally gathered up the courage to look at him. My eyes were instantly drawn to the lip and nostril piercing that reflecting the meek sunlight from this hour. Were they there this entire time and I was too distracted to notice? Damn they were hot. 

What was wrong with me? The one alpha I officially met was in the hospital and I'm fawning over all the others. Pull yourself together, Odette. Focus on Caden and Dante. They were already too much trouble for me, no way can I heap two more alphas onto my plate. But, it is nice to admire them from afar. 

Caspian glanced at me, quietly letting me know he noticed my staring. My head snapped in the other direction and tried to focus on the trees again. 

Soon, the forest became dotted with houses as we drove through some town. Caspian kept driving through the town and onto another lonely road with no other cars. "Where is the hospital?" I hesitantly asked not sure if he was going to answer.

"The city. Thirty minutes." His gruff voice scraped my insides, making me want to keep him talking, which might be a problem because he didn't seem like a big talker. 

I drew in a deep breath, knowing I was about to make a fool out of myself and decided to start off slow, "so what exactly happened to Dante?"

"Shot three times." He answered casually without blinking an eye.

I was stunned. Three times! How does someone survive that? "Oh." I sputtered, not sure what else to say.

The seriousness of the situation finally hit me now that I had a moment to think and wasn't worrying about Caden. If I hadn't insisted on seeing everyone, then we wouldn't have been in the restaurant, Dante wouldn't have left to investigate...

I didn't let myself finish that thought, already feeling the prickling behind my eyes. I faced the window again hoping Caspian would stay silent like he was the entire ride.

"Dante will be fine. He's survived much worse and he's an alpha don't forget."

I cursed myself. Of course he could sense my emotion heightening, he could probably smell my tears too. I just hummed in response, hoping he would stop talking so I could collect myself.

Thankfully he did until we pulled into the hospital. It was large and white exactly as I had expected. I had never been inside a hospital before and wasn't excited for this to be my first visit. 

Caspian turned around and shook Caden awake. Then, he got out of the car and opened both of our doors. I thanked him quietly and latched onto Caden's arm suddenly needing support. Caden seemed to need the comfort as much as me and we walked together into the place that would decide Dante's fate.