Why me?

A few minutes of silent passed with Caden clinging onto me like a life vest. I was too stunned to move or speak, although Caden seemed a little over friendly at times, I didn't think he would completely smother me. He was clearly heavily intoxicated, but in all honesty, I kinda enjoyed this. 

I knew it was wrong and was fully aware he had a pack as he crushed my rib cage. It's not like I hugged him first  I reminded myself. My skin started to feel extra warmth and tingling. I coughed loudly to try and get Caden's attention and maybe bring him back to reality.

It didn't work. He just hummed in response which caused warmth to pool in my stomach. My head felt hot, my hands were clammy and it felt like I was one breath away from a panic attack but at the same I felt like I was floating. It this was love feels like? Was this more than just a crush. I mentally laughed at myself, you think you're in love already, Odette?

"Caden. Why don't you go sit down and I can bring you some water." 

Caden sighed and peeled his nose away from the base of my neck to plant a sloppy kiss on the center of my forehead. He stumbled over to the couch and laid down with a groan. Leaving me gaping, what the hell! Why is he acting like this with me if he has a pack? Is this cheating? Is he cheating on them with me? Do I have to find a way to tell them? What will happen if they find out and become angry at me? 

I walked into the kitchen and filled a cup with water deciding to confront Caden about his behavior. I didn't want a bunch of angry alphas or betas showing up at my door wondering why I took advantage of Caden while he was drunk. Not that I was, but that might be where their minds turn if they learned he came over to my place after their date. 

I shakily put the cup down on the counter before I spilled it and tried to convince myself that his alphas or betas would never know that he was over my place and they were probably nice people who wouldn't jump to accusations. When that small pep talk failed I put on a brave face and shuffled a few steps to the living room to hand Caden his water.

I swear he purposely grabbed the water in a way so that he also brushed my hand. I ran my fingers through my hair hoping he wouldn't remember this embarrassing conversation tomorrow because of how drunk he was now. 

"Caden," I sharply said causing him to look up at me in surprise. "What are you doing here, why are you acting ..." I trailed off, not knowing how to describe his sudden change of behavior towards me, "different?" I slowly completed my sentence.

He blinked at me with his brilliant eyes almost making me forget that I was mad at him in the first place. He grinned, "don't be stressed," he cooed, "I can hear your beat beating and you smell so agitated."

He reached out to comfort me but I stepped away. It wasn't comforting that he could hear my heart, I forgot that full wolves had heightened scenes. "Caden," I scolded him, "you can't act like that with me. You have your pack. You said you could have friends, but the way you were acting was more than friends and I don't think they will be okay with that."

"Oh, princess, they already know all about you," he proudly announced, "I planned that date to be a chance for me to talk about you. I told them everything I know about you, your favorite color, you love barbecue wings and -"

"Caden what are you talking abo -"

"Shhhh." He placed his finger to my lips and I jerked away. I didn't like how starry eyed he was. I shook my head but he kept talking blissfully, "I think I'm in love." He quickly realized what he said and glanced up into my stupefied expression. 

He laughed it off and looked at me in such a sweet, pure way, my insides melted. "I like you, Odette. And don't worry, my pack and I have an open relationship. I can date anyone, not that I ever have, I can be with anyone I want outside of the pack and they can too. They would be cool about it, we all just want each other to be happy."