Chapter 6

The murder of a maid made ripples throughout the Imperial palace. Such news were of very trivial concern to the royals and even to nobles but how could it be ignored when it directly affects them?

The following morning after the ball shocking news spread throughout the palace. A maid was found mutilated in Angelica's chambers. The latter was getting ready for the day when she went into her bathroom and found the white shining tub bloody and full with human body parts. The head was laid on the small table beside the tub which was usually kept for soaps and oils used for bathing.

Now,the maid's head was put there. Her eyes glassy and moist with tears and eyes wide open. Indicating a painful death. What shocked her the most was that this was the same maid she sent to the stables for Diana,that's when she screamed an ear shattering and blood curdling scream.

"Higgins,what is the meaning of this?" King Harold asked as calmly as he could as he held a letter of parchment in his hand stating nothing but ridiculous affairs. Holding something unfathomable and has never happened in the history of his rule, in fact,not before the First Dynasty which was approximately 8 centuries ago.

"Your Majesty..."the palace steward stuttered. Unsure of what to say himself. He was also caught off guard by the news and he realised that his job was on the line. How could such a heinous crime be commited under his nose?

The king banged his fist on the ivory armrest of his throne and Higgins visibly flinched. "Answer me!" He roared as he stood up and threw the parchment across the polished marble floors of his grand chamber. "What is the meaning of this?!"

"And you..."his eyes rotated to his minister of Defence"I entrusted you with the safety of this kingdom. A crime was committed—a woman was killed—in my palace no less. What does this mean?"he again sat down and focused his attention on his new target.

"Your Majesty"the minister of Defence stuttered. " We are still trying to get to the bottom of this. What puzzled us mostly my Liege is that..."he paused and looked at the king.

"What?" Harold drawled,visibly scowling with irritation.

"There is no clear evidence of the perpetrator. It is almost as if a ghost did this"the whole room went with his statement.

Suddenly the king roared with laughter as he descended from his throne. Brows were furrowed amongst his ministers who were all perturbed as to what was the matter which made the king laugh in such dire circumstances.

The king's rich merry laughter filled the room but quickly disappeared as he sobered up and came face to face with the minister.

"Find whoever did this,ghost or not"then he walked in fast furious strides out of the grand Hall.

                                   #

"She had blood all over"Angelica stuttered as she wiped her tears with her silk cloth. " So,so much blood"she let a high pitched scream and her hands wrapped around prince Sebastian and cried her heart out.

The crowd prince of course awkwardly put his hands around her trying to comfort her. Fuck duty,he cursed darkly as Angelica continued to sob,burying herself deeper into his chest.

After his mother heard about the ordeal,he sent her to his chambers at once. It was no secret that Queen Mary hoped to make Angelica crown princess thus she has been acting as a matchmaker ever since she met the girl. Now he was left to deal with her sobbing and cries,he sighed as he looked out of the window,wishing he was far away from the castle walls,maybe on the battlefield. That'd be more like. More especially with Diana by his side.

Preferably,if it was Diana crying the river Styx in his chest right now,he wouldn't have minded at all but he knew what Angelica was after. Her and her entire family. If his mother knew this,she turned a blind eye.

He was disturbed from his trail of thoughts by a rapping on the door. " Come in"he said eyes curious and brie furrowed. He didn't recall having any other commitments or guests to entertain. Angelica for today was actually enough for the entire week.

"I am sorry to disturb your highness but I came to check on Milady D'Angelica's health"Diana said and he could feel Angelica shifting uncomfortably in her seat at the mention of her name.

"I assure you princess,I am okay and definitely not in need of medical assistance"Angelica smiled at her as she cuddled closer to Sebastian. "As you can see,the crown has already cured my deepest fears. His presence...is more than enough for me in these trying times"she looked at him lovingly.

Sebastian cleared his throat and removed his hands from Angelica's eager body. He stood up," you are more than welcome princess"he said curtly with a nod.

"I can assure you,I am not physically liable"Angelica tried to protest feeling her touch slipping away from Sebastian by the moment. Curse you she fumed as she glared daggers at a seemingly unaware Diana. The latter did notice but she simply smiled.

"You are in no position to say that princess,you have suffered an unfortunate incident indeed,you are traumatized. That needs to be treated immediately,the queen entrusted that responsibility to me,I cannot disappoint"she said smoothly.

Angelica's anger got the better of her,"what part of I am very much healthy don't you understand?!"she lashed out and Sebastian frowned.

"Angelica,you will receive treatment and how dare you insult a dignitary?!"he scolded as she bit her lip and sat on the four poster bed,waiting for Diana to attend to her. Sebastian could bear no more and went away,sealing the doors shut behind them.

A few minutes later Angelica was out cold and Diana exited the chamber. A smile on her ruby red lips.

The princess and her mother disappeared,their bodies were never found—ANNALS OF THE EMPIRE

Her hand trembled slightly as she held the huge book in her arms so she transferred the weight to the table to avoid dropping it. Her eyes scanned the next page.

There was a picture of little Diana clutching a doll whilst she pouted a way a child would despite being told to stay still.

Those eyes,she thought as she ran a hand through the drawing. She closed her eyes and tilted her head back. A habit of hers when she was in deep thought.

She closed the book and pushed it under the shelf so no one may use it while she was still busy with her research.

She stalked out of the royal library heading for the docks.

The air surrounding the warm docks was filled with clearing mist, preparing for the day to come. The dock hands were already utilising their labour to contribute to the day's profits. She headed directly to where she knew the dock offices would be. On the far end of the docks.

Old father Tom had been working there for 24 years now,at the right price,he could spill anything. She had more than enough coins as it is.

She threw the velvet bag over the mahogany counter and father Tom looked up with surprise from his work. He wore round glasses which helped the small slits of his eyes to assess and evaluate information.

He looked up with his wrinkled face,"what can I do for you young one?" He asked in the odd raspy voice they all knew.

A smirk stretched on her lips,"father, please search for me a record made 18 years ago"she requested and he nodded with understanding before crouching down and disappearing beneath the counter. He reappeared with a large leather bound book.

He used his thin fingers to leaf through the pages. It was a while before he stopped. " Ah,during the revolution"that's what Harold called the day he became king. The revolution. "No ships were supposed to leave that day"her heart fell when he suddenly wagged a finger.

"One did leave,for the lowlands. Carrying two passangers at most"he replied and she shuddered.

"A girl and a woman?" She asked expectantly.

"Why yes"he replied.

"Thank you"she said politely and turned on her back.

Thee princess Diana is back for nothing more than a sole purpose,to kill us all Gabriella shuddered. She needed to tell Angelica at any cost. Now come to think of it,this would be Angelica's trump card over Diana.