Chapter 26

Bells toiled violently,their golden surfaces burning bright in the sun only a few moments after Diana had let out a high pitched scream and ran for the doors since the palace walls were soundproof,no one could hear here even if she used her entire voice box.

The maids waiting diligently outside the room were startled to the core to see a wailing Diana claiming that something was wrong with the queen. They immediately rushed inside only to freeze in their tracks as shock registered upon the features. Then, panic.

One of the older maids,who has been in service with the queen for years, Esmeralda,dared to march right up to the crowned queen and placed her bony finger on the vein in Mary's neck. The gods have decided to reclaim dear queen Mary and Diana couldn't be more pleased even in the midst of tears.

And there so it was,the entire kingdom mourned the loss of their beloved queen. Even as she was lowered into her beautiful marble coffin in the royal sanctuary,their cries were swallowed by the heavens.

Harold felt something beyond words but was close to devastation,depression and despair. When he rummaged his mind of a time when Mary ever told him she was sick but came blank. Next thing he knows,she was dead. Choked on one of the frosted biscuits she loved so much.

Felix stood stone faced with Hannah clinging at his arm. The latter's head
was slightly leaning on Felix with an inconcieble look on her face. Felix was in turmoil,in layman's terms,he felt like he has lost touch with reality. His mother was gone just like that. He had consulted with her in tough times or when he wanted to bunk his royal classes. He wanted to laugh at the sick irony of it but it wasn't funny enough to laugh at. Not under these circumstances. He marched right up to where Diana was standing with Lucas and Adrian. Lips trembling in rage,he pointed an accusatory finger at her.

"It was you wasn't it?" He seethed.

Diana looked withdrawn from whatever daze she was in. " Pardon?"

"You killed my mother didn't you?" Nothing. " Answer me!" He screeched like the deranged man he probably was. 

The guards noticed and so did the king but he did nothing. He just stared off into the horizon,his eyes glassy and moist. The guards stood closer to make sure no scuffle would take place but Felix wasn't done yet.

"You witch! You killed her didn't you? And you're probably behind Sebastian's disappearance too! You know why? Because you're a Fl—"

"I don't appreciate you talking to my love like that" Adrian interfered just in time before Felix revealed the big cake.

"Dear I know losing a loved one is painful, let him vent out his anger. It'll help" Diana soothingly laid a gentle arm on Felix and lightly pushed him away from the others who though she genuinely cares for Felix.

"Listen now. Don't cause a ruckus because no one will believe you. You'll only be making a fool.of yourself more than you already are"she spat.

"What did you do to my brother?" He demanded coldly,glaring daggers into her face.

"How is that any of my business?" She asked with a frown. "If you don't know,I'm not your brother's keeper not do I mind what he was doing in his spare time"she waved her hand nonchalantly before walking away. She only wondered how Angelica was feeling.

That's why she stood near her brother and whispered to him,"please track down the crown prince, it's quite unnerving not to see him here"Lucas nodded with a smirk.

____________________________________

The next morning brought shocking news to the kingdom. The crown prince was assassinated. By his own wife. Several rumours flew about as to what were Angelica's intentions in killing Sebastian.

Rhea,her lady in waiting and proud finder of the body,was the founder of accusations involving the prince wanting to marry Lady Winter instead of Angelica. That just proved how unfaithful maidservants actually were. Many in court actually believed her and started to oust Angelica's family. The king receded into closed doors after the tragedy wanting to deal with no one or court affairs. All matters were handled by his sister Lady Semore,who arrived at the earliest possible instance to be here for her brother.

Even when the steel door opened for Diana inside the cell,she was unfazed,head held high as she waltzed inside the dirty cell.

Angelica sat on a bench facing the black high stone wall. In the middle of the wall was a small window with bars in it. Which Diana considered quite unnecessary because not even bulldog could squeeze through. Not like a lady like Angelica had any means or plans of escape.

Unlike what you would typically see of w prisoner,Angelica sat in her finest garb, probably from when she was seized. Her hair made up elegantly and face full of makeup though Diana could discern no particular expression from it.

"What are you doing here Diana?" She demanded,still not letting her eyes rest on her yet. "Have you come to gloat?" She asked bitterly.

"To be honest there's nothing glorious about the entire situation. What a pity. You aligned yourself with Felix against me for your marriage to Sebastian and then when you're in trouble you can't get him to help you"Diana shook her head wistfully.

No reply.

"But that's not why I'm here"she quickly added. That's when Angelica twisted her neck to look at her.

"Then why are you here then?"

"That's what I've been waiting to hear from you"Diana smiled,confusing her further. "I'm here to help you".

"Why? Why would you help me now? I no longer hold any important power at court,I'm a disgrace"she bowed her head in shame.

"I told you I'm not Felix,I'm not that shallow. I told you that we're kindred souls did I not?" Angelica slightly nodded.

"Angelica look at me" Angelica did as she was told.

"You have to believe that I have your best interests at heart otherwise,I am not even forced to be here"Diana donned her most serious expression,hoping it would be enough. It was.

"How will you help me then?" Her voice was still flat,possibly still sceptical.

"Listen now. I can take you out by killing your maid Rhea. She is the only witness they have"Angelica raised her eyebrows.

"You're going to kill her?!" She exclaimed, shocked. " But you're princess Diana! You're an angel,you can't possibly be planning to kill?!" She exclaimed,her face white as a sheet from shock.

"That's what you think of me? An angel? How can I be an angel when I'm a Flamberg?" Angelica stood up and rushed to the wall with the window and stood against it as if frightened by Diana.

"A Flamberg?" She stuttered, incomprehensible. "That's not possible but the name... Diana"another gasp,"you truly are of the house of Flamberg but if you are it would mean..."she trailed her eyes wide as saucers.

"I killed the queen and all the others"she finished for Angelica nonchalantly as if it was no big deal. "See why I said we're kindred spirits? We are the same in a great deal more ways than one".

Angelica nodded slowly,digesting the information. " So what now?".

"What would you say if I wanted to put you on the throne?" Angelica dared not speak.

"Instead of me? I can hand you my birthright because you are a queen in your own right" Diana added. Tears poured out of Angelica's eyes.

"That's not done,why would you do that? For me?!" She shook her head vigorously in denial. " That's the crown we're talking about,no one would want to give it away".

"I will make you queen and you will have now beside you and you will rule this kingdom. The Wales will fall by my hand"Diana sternly declared,leaving no room for protest.

"What happens to you after that?"

"To fix something in the Infernal Empire"