Chapter 27

"Who's there? Anybody?" Rhea frowned as she peered into the dark eerie servant's quarters. She had been napping peacefully when she heard a sound like the creak of a door and couldn't even make sure she wasn't imagining it because she was alone. All the other servants were still working.

Gathering her cotton robe from the hanger at the wooden wall in front of her bed,she softly padded her way out of her division and walked to the door at the other side of the hall.

Just as she suspected,the door did look slightly ajar,the moonlight filtering through the open slit. She squinted her eyes inside the dark room trying to locate any being who might have caused the mystery but as far as her eyesight could grant,she saw no form or figure lingering in any of the dividers. She knew that because they were all closed.

After a few tense moments with an inner debate ensuing inside her,she shook her head nonchalantly. Brushing it off as alertness since she was to be an imperial witness. She was way too guarded.

Shivering from the cold,she pulled her robe closer together and walked the rest of the way to close the door. She figured it was probably blown by the wind judging from it's light material.

Just for safety reasons,she perked her head out of the door and surveyed the landscape. That's when a sharp steel blade fell on her neck.

______________________________

"Yes Your Grace,I understand that the murder of the only imperial witness been had weakened our case but how would you explain the how the prince's body—may the gods bless him soul—ended up in her chambers?" Minister of Affairs Minister Du asked.

Lady Semore sat beside the king's unoccupied throne where the queen typically sat for matters of court. Her blue-grey eyes were concentrated at each individual,she did exude a powerful aura befitting a queen.

"Permission to speak My lady" Diana bowed from the other side of the room and Lady Semore's eyes darted to look at her.

"Permission granted"Lady Semore said mildly.

"Your Grace I wish for the court to see what actually happened here"she paused to look at Lady Semore's face to guide her. She was interested.

"Let's look at Rhea for instance. Rhea has been Lady Wale's chief lady in waiting since early childhood one would completely trust maidservant during that span of time. Let's leave that for now. What did Rhea stand to gain?" She gave the courtiers a pointed look for emphasis.

Lady Semore frowned,"I am not quite understanding your plight princess".

"Your Grace,Angelica had no reason to murder her husband—"

"That's obvious,she killed him for power" one of the courtiers said and the others murmured along with him till the herald struck his staff on the floor,demanding silence.

Diana turned to look at the man briefly before facing Lady Semore. "I'm sorry your grace but Minister Ewell has quite forgotten our laws"she again turned to give the old man a quiet glare while the room went silent at her words. Realising their mistake in laughing.

"Our law regarding ruling involves both entities chosen to rule. We cannot have one ruler but two,a queen and king for various reasons which are quite justified"a pause and Lady Semore nodded for her to continue.

"Let's say the Crown Princess had ambitions for the crown which she is befitting many ladies of the court,she cannot kill the crown prince because he is her ticket to rule. There cannot ever be just a queen ruling us"and yet there will be,soon.

Lady Semore nodded slowly seeming to agree with the notion till minister Du said,"what about his highness found in her chambers,buried crudely underneath the floorboards? How condescending"the other men grunted in agreement.