Chapter 21

Diana could only curse at such dumb luck when the gown got in her way of fighting. With the flowing material,it was  restricting her way of movement. Lucas clearly noticed and covered her as they made their way out of the cabin.

Thankfully,no one was on the deck and their exit was quite smooth and they walked along the docks to a safe place. " I told you that a gown of such design was not a good idea"Lucas muttered shaking his head as they entered a empty room at one of the dock offices and Diana changed clothes.

She came out of the staff room wearing her white riding suit and she sheathed her sword. " Adrian should be here by now"she frowned and went to check. Fortunately he was there and though with slight injuries,he was still alive and healthy enough for a ride back to the palace.

                                    #

It was midday by the time they arrived at the palace and clearly, their little rendezvous did not go unnoticed. After freshening up,the king demanded an audience. Lucas seemingly disappeared into thin air immediately when that happened so it was just Diana and Adrian. They were ushered into the grand Hall for an assembly of nobles.

Harold was seated on his magnificent throne with a stony face,his large fingers gently tapped against the armchairs and his eyes gave nothing away. Across the room the nobles were assembled on a high,wooden circular table each in their assembly garments.

"We humbly greet you,Your Majesty"they said in unison as they curtseyed low till the king gave a grunt and they stood up to their former position.

Despite the tension and formality of the room,they stood proud and erect,after all they had nothing to fear whereas,it couldn't be said for some lords.

"We have recieved reports of his and her highness disturbing the peace of the city of Gau,located just around the hill and a few miles away from the Infernal Empire ships"Chief Steward Higgins formally announced as he held up the scroll into the light. " Not only were they spotted on enemy ships but also dared to interact with the enemies"Higgins eyed them with disdain and Diana couldn't help but pull on a nonchalant expression at such boring affairs.

"What do you have to say for yourselves?" Diana could almost applaud at the crown prince's anger management skills. He just had a stony expression like the rest of them despite seeing Adrian alive. She wondered if the assassin had come back at all after its miserable failure.

"Your Majesty"Adrian's confident voice boomed against the room as he began his speech. " There is only one crime we're guilty of here and that is not alerting his Majesty about the deciet of his own court"that statement roused fire inside the room because the nobles frowned before murmuring amongst themselves till they were silenced by authority.

"What do you mean by that? Elucidate"the king folded his knuckles together and leaned forward. His eyes betrayed his interest.

"I was studying the military reports given to me when I stumbled upon something very disturbing. Generally,at last meeting Lord Fei told us of only 15 ships on our shores and nothing about the extra 5 situated on the shores of Gau yet they were strictly mentioned in the military report"he took a brief glance at the accused and inwardly smiled when he saw the old man's face flush pale.

"So we went forth to Gau to scout for ourselves and indeed,it was true"Diana added. " We are well aware of that we were also seen interacting with Infernal Empire royals. That way Your Majesty,we were able to acquire vital information"the hall was now dead quiet. "The Infernal Empire is indeed in cahoots with Diadera and want to capitalise on the dysfunctionality of the tri kingdom treaty.

We have already sent scouts to Diadera who have confirmed that there are also the same number of ships on Diadera's shores and with the arrest of their king,the ships were theirs to command"a visible gasp rolled out from the nobles as they finally understood the dire situation they might be in.