Chapter 23

Even after nursing the emotionally wounded prince,Diana couldn't help but wonder how Felix was able to uncover her identity which was so carefully curated and sealed. What also seemed to prick her fancy is how long did he know? And why didn't he reveal it in front of everyone?

Though some she had absolutely no answer for except guesses which were ultimately nothing but grasping at straws,she did come to a conclusion. Felix had known for a little less than a while. Say,a few days. If so,he didn't speak out for a reason. To back up her point,he appeared to her when she was walking alone,therefore to intimidate her and only her. What he wanted her to hear were for her ears alone. If so then,he wanted to play a game with her.

That thought roused a smile within her. This time she had to stop depending on people or on her brother,she just let him take a break and deal with this solo. It seemed like a ghastly prospect but had to be done. And to be done it shall.

"Will he be alright?" Angelica's voice jolted her to reality and she looked at Sebastian's form on the bed.

"Affirmative,I sedated him so he'll probably rouse around the afternoon. Keep an eye on him and should he not wake up by then,send for me"Angelica nodded in appreciation as Diana packed the bag full of medical supplies.

"Thank you"Angelica said and for a moment,Diana stopped before getting what she was trying to say and nodded.
"No,not for your healing services but for what you did for me with the wedding"Diana turned to face her.

"I'm not a monster as you would think and you would find that we're kindred souls in more ways than one"Angelica nodded again and Diana bowed.

"Crown Princess allow me my leave"Angelica chuckled before granting permission.

The next day,Diana was on the first carriage out of the palace. She was returning according to the wishes of the king. It was time for her and Adrian to wed.

She stopped upon seeing the carriage next to her mother's mansion. She frowned as she quickly grabbed her sword and and exited her own carriage. To any servant inside the yard it would be an unusual sight to see a lady,pristine in her expensive gowns and jewels,carrying a sword and looking ready to kill but Diana didn't care.

Her continued dread reached a peak when she saw the insignia of the royal family on the back of the cream and golden carriage. She cursed loudly before checking only to find it empty. The visitor was inside.

A cold feeling overwhelmed Diana as she passed the foyer. Felix. He could be here and he could have already killed her mother or otherwise. With a sudden rush of adrenaline,she lifted up her dress with one hand and ran as far as he heeled shoes would allow. She dashed into the study and exhaled in relief when she heard her mother's voice beyond the wooden walls.

And this is when Diana was sixteen years old,quite a hothead by then,former queen Elizabeth chuckled after her statement as Diana slid open the doors to the room. Her mother and another male stood with their backs against her and seemingly gazing at something on the desk before them.

Diana exhaled in relief as she recognised the figure. Adrian. Then her eyes light up with delight. " Adrian! You didn't say you're here?!" She questioned loudly with a smile on her face before she embraced her mother's sweet scent. A scent she hasn't smelled in a while and relished in it.

"This lovely man arrived here yesterday, he's my son in law I presume?" Elizabeth questioned her daughter with a tinge of humour in her voice.

"Yes mother,he is"she answered with a light blush staining her cheeks as she looked away.

"I just know he'll make a fine husband"she clapped her hands twice and a servant entered. She was a cute petite redhead and clearly new to the manor because Diana had never seen her before. " Hilde, please get me a piece of parchment with our insignia,I need to write to the royal family"the girl bobbed her head before exiting and bringing forth the utensils for writing a letter much to Diana's delight.

She was earlier afraid of her mother not approving of Adrian being...well... Harold's son but she just seemed to get on well with him. She wondered why.

__________________________________

Spending time with her mother was always a delight but Diana had better things to do. As the carriage wheels rattled against the road,she tried to twist her mind into thinking of a plan but nothing seemed to surface.

She felt lips brush against her cheek and she smiled before throwing her body weight against Adrian. She sighed and released a frustrated breath. Adrian stroked her black locks.

"What's got you riled up? You look tense"he whispered as he trailed kisses on her neck and Diana shivered before smirking but even that was wiped off too soon.

"I...I can't tell you"she sighed before trying to get up but Adrian stopped her and got up himself. He swiftly seated on the seat opposite her so that he faced her. His hands held up the letter with Duchess D'winter's seal.

"We're about to get married in a matter of weeks,your mother has granted permission—this letter which I'm about give my father the king for our wedding preparations to commence. You don't want to tell me what's bothering you?" Pain flashed across his features. " What's the whole point of our relationship then?" He raised a playful eyebrow at her.

Diana sighed,"you won't like it".

"Does it matter?" He stared curiosly at this beautiful angel whom he was attracted to like a magnet but was he ready for the storm to come? 

" Visiting mother had reminded me that I've stalled too much time,I need to get my father's legacy back"a pause and Diana raised her eyes to look at Adrian. " I may have to kill them"Adrian smirked.

"Then so be it".