Chapter 9

Clank! The cup landed on the floors with a shudder as it broke to pieces. Diana's trembling hand visibly shaken as she jerked up from her seat to come to level with Chris.

"An engagement between Angelica and Sebastian has been fixed?" She raised her eyebrows.

Chris,startled by Diana's earlier show,bowed her head slightly. " Yes your highness,the queen had ordered the crown prince to marry Milady D'Angelica. A ball will be held where the crown prince will announce his crown princess"that confirmed everything Diana was afraid of. This was her plan? If so,how did she achieve such a feat on her own? She wondered quietly with a frown as she paced the floors trying to think.

"Thank you Chris, please keep looking" she forced a smile and the girl bowed and left the room. No sooner she left did a sneaky Angelica enter much to Diana's chargrin.

"Good morning princess"she greeted with a fake pleasant tone. Not that Diana was pleased either to see her. The feeling was mutual.

"Lady Angelica,how do you do this fine morning?" Her voice silky and rehearsed for fake pleasantries.

"Splendid to say the least. After all,who wouldn't be when soon, they'll be crown princess of the imperial Kingdom? A soon to queen at that?" Two minutes of the decision and you're already bragging and flouncing a title you don't yet have? An irate part of her brain told her.

"Oh! So I've heard but I thought it to only be rumours. I simply couldn't believe that you could be given position of Crown Princess"she said nonchalantly and Angelica gasped in shock.

"Why you—" she held up a hand.

"Word of advice,the court is treachous ground,not even a blistering land of volcanic ash and magma can compare to it. Tread carefully and don't flaunt a title yet to be acquired"she then gently but firmly pushed Angelica to the door and shut it behind the stunned royal.

Diana ruffled her hair in frustration as she stalked the room trying to think of a quick solution to all this. Now she knew, someone was looking out for Angelica. That girl couldn't be smart to save her life. She had someone to back her up but the question was who.

Someone leaped over the balcony and opened the door,she immediately pivoted with tensed muscles,ready in a battle stance but was visibly relieved to see her younger brother breathing heavily with a stupid grin on his face. For once that morning she smiled.

"Sister"he said as they embraced. Diana relished in the comfort,in a court full of devious beings,he was the only she knew wouldn't betray her.

Lucas noticed that she was clinging to him more than usual so his hand lingered on her back. " So I guess you've heard huh?" He chuckled lowly.

Diana retracted,"you do know what that means for our plan right? Someone is against us and it's not just Angelica"she could see his eyes widen in alarm.

"You mean they know who you truly are?" He quickly asked but to his delight,Diana shook her head and relief bombarded his cells. "But then"he started. "Why are they after you?".

"Because they're aware that I'm planning something sinister"Lucas nodded warily.

"Knowing you sister,you can be very honest when asked"he winked and she chuckled.

"Well look where that got me now"she says ruefully and Lucas hugged her.

"We'll think of something,we always do"he said what they both knew to be the truth. " Go for a ride,Lord knows you need it"he encouraged and she smiled. He knew him too well and so she headed straight for her riding suit while Lucas disappeared saying he was going to visit the servant quarters and the training grounds.