O14

CHAPTER 14 . THE HIDDEN TRUTH

────
HYUNJAE

it's been an hour or two ever since the tension grew, and i already feel like jungwon is about to attack mrs. yang.

he keeps glaring at her, while she stares at the ground, and i am sitting in the middle of the two which is uncomfortable as fuck.

"s─so..." i trailed off, as i saw them glancing at me "shall i....just stay or leave?"

"i say it's best to leave right now─"

"stay, you are not moving a centimeter away from this house until we finish the damn pair work"

i gulped, and ended staring at the neat tiles on the ground.

mrs yang suddenly sighs, before she started speaking "jungwon, i did all that for your own good─"

"my good? my good? we both know you just wanted to have a good reputation so you replaced me with a fucking robot for more than three fucking months, brainwashed my friend and she ends up liking a robot, and then you faked it's death the moment i wake up. and your saying it's for my good? think of some other bullshit, mom"

jungwon rapped that out as if he was about to explode, and that just made me want to teleport myself back to my room.

"well─my good is your good, jungwon" mrs yang tried to reason out, but then the angry sheep seemed to stubborn to agree.

"have you ever asked me what i wanted? do you know why i chose to do psychology instead of being the next ceo of your damn company?

do you know what my actual favorite food is? have you ever thought of asking what my passion is?" jungwon bursted, which made me sort of jump from my seat.

"well..." mrs. yang gulped, she sounded like she was about to cry

jungwon stands up from the couch, fists on his sides as he began another lecture

"no....i knew it. you always do this, you always make sure things only go your way, and you almost broke jeongin hyung's life with that stupid arranged marriage to a girl from god knows where.

but i ain't dumb, i am not going to dance to your music like i did as a kid. you said i should grow up right? fine then, i will choose what i want to do for myself because it's my life, and you can't control me.

as a kid, i hated that you separated me from most of my friends with your stupid little tricks, but this time i am not letting you seperate me and─"

he pulled me by my hand, making me stand up straight "and hyunjae, we are both very happy together and i don't want anyone to meddle in right now"

god, i want to cry.

i gave jungwon's mother an apologetic look, and she just weakly smiled at me

a smile that wasn't so sincere.

the atmosphere was so silent, jungwon couldn't find himself to even speak, he looked like he was already having a mental breakdown.

"i...i need to go, don't come to calm me down or shit"

and that's when he marches towards his room and slams the door shut.

i took the chance to lower my whole body to the floor, and bowed at mrs. yang before i stood up "i am so sorry, i didn't expect myself to be a bad influence on him, i will talk it out─"

"sweetie, there is no need for that. and i am not mad at anyone right now, i am just....shocked"

her words left me confused, as i was still standing in front of her "jungwon never defended himself like that─he always balls it in and keeps it to himself.

it seems that you changed him, hyunjae. you taught him how to defend himself when he needed to─literally, thank you. i understand why he talks about you so much"

i could do nothing but mumble a thank you, how could she be so forgiving?! usually people get mad if that type of shit happens.

"i...gotta go, tell jungwon that i had some work to do and i had to leave. bye" mrs. yang stood up from the couch, wiping her tears using her sleeves as she sniffed, slowly walking away.

i still felt guilty, i mean─i was part of the reason why he fought with his own mother, and i didn't do shit but just watch her walk away.

"why didn't i stop her and confront her?" i complained to myself, feeling my heartbeat palpilating fast.

maybe i should comfort him? that's the least i could do right now

and that was exactly what i did, as i walked over to his room, knocking on the door for a few times.

"hey jungwon, we need to talk"

this was the first long chapter i wrote in MONTHS