O21

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE. DAD'S 'INTERROGATION'

────

JUNGWON

"see? i told you that you can trust me with maeumi"

i laid down beside hyunjae, listening to her ramble about how easy it was to take care of maeumi, and how well they got along.

i went to busan last week to visit my cousins and came back yesterday. i dont know what made me think of letting hyunjae take care of maeumi, but i dont regret it.

"oh! and did i mention how quiet she was? i was able to watch a whole k-drama without having to stop her from being loud, it was really peaceful." she said, which made me stare at her "so, did you miss me?" i asked.

"of course i did, you can ask ri-ki and nahee about how i was like when you were gone" she admitted, before her hand went to caress my cheek, and i dont know why, but i felt a weird feeling in my stomach — not complaining though, it felt good, in a way.

i swear, this woman drives me crazy just by doing the smallest things.

"jungwon?"

i let out a hum, before i parted her hair away from your face "did you miss me?" she asked, and didn't hesitate to nod "you were all i could think of for the whole week, i tried to call you alot but you rarely ever answered, so i would just look at a picture of you and fantasize about our future, i dont know how i survived the week without you."

hyunjae let out a giggle, and it drove me crazy, as i smiled.

god, i miss her laugh.

"i love you" she blurted out, which made me smile harder as i replied "i love you more".

i leaned closer to her face, tilting my head until i heard the door slammed open.

"sorry to ruin your little moment, but mom and dad are coming in five minutes" 

💗

JUNGWON

i was now sitting at the dining table with hyunjae's parents, waiting for hyunjae and hyunwoo to come back from the convenience store.

how long does it take them to buy a few snacks?!

"so jungwon, how long have you been dating our daughter?"  mr. kim asked, which caught me off guard "oh, um.. it's been a bit over three months now." i replied, taking a sip of the cup of tea on my right.

"no plans on running away?"

"no plans at all, i am not planning on breaking her heart again" i stated, and he raised a brow, but he spared me off of that topic "how would you feel about us together?" i asked, and that made him frown, he took it the wrong way.

"by us, i mean hyunjae and i, like — married" i cleared out, which made him let out a hum "how do you know whether you won't run away by then? or maybe pull out a death prank on my daughter on the wedding day?"

i frowned at his undeniably stupid question, before stating "look, i know that you're holding a grudge on me for what happened a few years ago, but i just want to say that it was all my parents doing,

 i was in a coma after a surgery, and my parents were worried about their reputation so they decided to create a duplicate of me, and since it started to malfunction, they decided to tell everyone that i died from the disease. i love hyunjae, and i would never leave her, even if my parents forced me to."

i dont know whether my words reassured him, but he seemed to warm up abit after i stopped talking, meanwhile mrs. kim was looking down with an expression that i couldn't comprehend of.

"give me another chance, at least for the sake of hyunjae. i can't live without her, every second that i spend without her suffocates me, every moment without her feels colorless, every day without her drives me so crazy that i can barely ever think straight.

ever since we started dating, i keep falling deeper for her. she could just be standing or sleeping, and my stomach would start doing backflips and cartwheels just by staring at her, and i know this sounds cliché, but i really can't live without your daughter"

i let out a sigh, feeling shocked at my own words — i have never talked like a whipped man in my entire life, yet here i was, confessing about how much i love someone's daughter to them. i stared at hyunjaes parents, who seemed try and hide their smiles, and i didn't know why until i heard a voice from behind.

"hey, you never told me how whipped you are for me."

────

i feel so single these days