Chapter Sixteen

Gumball's point of view

I ran down the hallway, my hand dragging Fionna along, since she is surprisingly slow. My footfalls are too loud. I may attract the attention of some guards, but I put that in the back of my mind. I hear a scream behind me. It wasn't Marshall, but was most likely Finn. Tears fall out of my eyes, but Fionna forces me to stay strong. We turn the corner. We spot Cake collapsed on the ground. She almost looks passed out, so I turn her over and pinch the inside of her shoulder. Immediately, she springs up and screams, "OWW! WHADYA DO THAT FOR?"

"I was making sure you weren't passed out, but it seems you're fine," I say, chuckling, while Fionna bursts out laughing.

"Oh, screw you, pretty boy, I'm done with your shit," she says with a scowl. "Where's Marshall?"

"He's back there fighting Finn," I say. "We need to get moving. We should split up and scout out for a way out of this place in order to get to the tower, but we don't have much time. There may be guards coming down as a precaution, so act quick."

Cake nods. Fionna looks behind her. She gasps, and as I also look her direction. I see about eight guards with guns blocking the south direction, the way we came. There must be something down there if they are blocking it from there, but I'd rather look someplace else. Fionna gets up, fists held up.

"You guys go ahead. I'll handle these jokers," she says, pulling out a gun from each of her sleeves.

"Wow that could have been helpful before-" Cake begins to say before I silence her.

"Yes, alright, don't get hurt, Fionna. Find Marshall. If you find a way into the tower, call us. If we find one, we'll call you," I say.

"Alright, now go!" She says, running towards the guards, to which the shooting starts.

"You sure she'll be alright?" Cake asks.

"If she can beat up Marshall, she will be fine," I say. "Now, you take the east hallway, and I will take the north hallway. We know there isn't any in the West because it was just a wall when we were outside."

"Right, let's do this," she says, running eastward.

I get up, and start running south.

Running, I see many bodies lined on the walls, their blood splashed on the walls in odd symbols from the Old government. Some had what appeared to be star inside of a circle, what I identified as was a cult symbol. Another is rather unmentionable, as I would like to keep this almost genocide from the future generations. I ran around a corner, stumbling on some traps, barely avoiding them, almost losing my hands and feet in the process. I reach the end of the trap hallway, and I spot a man slumped on his side. He was still breathing, but there was a grievous wound on his chest. His face was downcast. I recognized him as one of my former associates. I ran over to him, getting my healing equipment. He spots me, and whispers to me, wheezing, "There is no need for that. It's too late."

I start crying. "No, it isn't. I'm going to save you-"

"I said it's too late, Gumball. I'm already dead," he says, but I barely hear him.

He even swats away my healing equipment. I start to sob even more.

"Why are you here?" He says.

"I came here to save the world, that's what I'm doing, why are you here?" I ask, wiping away the tears.

"I was captured by Simone and thrown in here. This is a punishment chamber for those who have committed great crimes against the New Empire. You are sent here to be hurt by the traps enough to stay alive but only slightly, and then they send the corpse down here to finish us off by eating us. The symbols written represent the hopelessness. It is written after the victim's death," he wheezes out.