Chapter Nineteen

Gumball's Point of View

There is nothing but light. Everything is blurry.

My body hurts, my hands numb and my legs currently going out. My eyes finally focus on the ceiling of a vehicle. I can hear the engine roar as I feel the wind start to whip through the compartment. I get up, but Fionna appears to stop me from getting up.

"Lay down, relax, or your wounds will open," she says. I don't listen to her and I sit up, feeling a little pain but not enough to be convulsing.

"Ah, whatever. You're fine I guess," she says, sitting back.

"Where am I? How am I not dead? I fell out of that building and down to the ground, which was a big enough drop to die," I asked, some pain in my chest.

"You are not dead. You never died. You landed in our sensory field. You actually landed on a giant mattress that we set out specifically to catch you. You only thought that you died," she said.

"But my brain would have still shut off-"

"No, the sensory field is designed to simulate that feeling, in order to make someone else believe the person who looks like they died is truly dead. Although, it certainly is quite a tricky concept to put down."

"Did Cake get the same treatment?" I ask, quite concerned.

"Yes, but she decided to go on her own. She was tired of running away. There is still so much of the Empire to destroy, that she decided to gather the rest of the princesses and create a regime to combat the remainder of the Empire. Although they got a new leader."

I sit back for a moment, pondering the situation. A new leader? I assume that it was the second half of Ice Queen's relationship, Lord Monichromicorn, but you can never know, really. My eyes were heavy, but not with death, more like sleep. My hands were a bit bloody, the bandages covering the wounds up. Then I realize some critical things that I missed.

"Where's Marshall?" I asked Fionna.

Fionna sighed, putting her face into her hand. She laid back, her hands behind her head.

"He's doing fine. Actually, more than fine. At least that's what I'm assuming."

My heart sinks slightly. Assuming? What the hell does that mean?

"Why? Where is he? Didn't you guys get him out?" I ask.

Fionna mumbles to herself, and then looks me straight in the eye.

"Marshall is presumed to be the new leader of the Empire."

The blood rushes through me, but my heart sinks anyways. My eyes light up, but my morale dissipates. My heart breaks, the pain from my wounds floods back to me, and it hurts, but not as much as my heart. My frown just goes into a poker face.

"W-wh, how?" I ask, conviction in my eyes. "Why, how, when, who made him do it-"

"Calm down Gumball-"

"HOW CAN I CALM DOWN? HE WAS MY ONLY LOVE, THE ONLY THING THAT I HAVE EVER WANTED IN THIS WORLD, AND YOU'RE TELLING ME HE IS NOW THE ONE THAT I'M SUPPOSED TO KILL-"

"DO YOU HONESTLY THINK YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO MISSES HIM?" She screams, her face getting red.

I stop speaking for a moment. When the silence gets stifling, I ask another question.

"Why did he join the empire?" I ask.

She sighs a little, calming down. "He joined the Empire as a form of grieving. It was to prove to himself that he could do better than the one who killed his only world. That he could truly forge an empire worth enforcing. He did it for himself, and for you. There was also an ulterior motive that was fulfilled with your 'death' and his rise to power."