Chapter 20 I'm sorry

I'm surrounded by darkness. There is no light, no sound, and water begins to fill the room I'm in, fear consumes me as it covers my waist and rises quickly until it reaches my head. I search around for a way out, but there is none.

I try to swim to the surface but there was no surface to get air from. I would drown. I start to jolt as I begin to freeze and the tips of my fingers turn blue. I'm tripping. My arms and legs start to freeze and I do nothing but float on my back.

Bubbles come out of my mouth as air leaves my body but before water can enter my lungs the water freezes and I slowly start to freezes over as well.

It feels like it's been hours since I woke in this strange place. My eyes close for a bit trying to calm my mind and breath deeply. Then, I feel a drip on my arm, and open my eyes to see a clear liquid. I look above me to see it dripping and ice crack’s in it. I hold my breath as it breaks and I fall back into the water. Despite my best efforts to see through the darkness, I was unable to do so, until I was struck by a bright purple light that poured into my body. In an instant, I start to glow and the water turns to nothing more than steam as I fall to the ground, still glowing.

I start to think I'm delirious until a white tunnel appears above me. I start to panic am I dead. It feels like the floor I was standing on is being lifted off the ground and toward the light, where it stops about an arm's reach from me. When I reach for it, I feel myself being swept in and swept through the white light like a current.

I finally stop and get pulled back to life and I sit up with a jolt and I notice two blurry figures in-front of me their voices are drowsy and I panic. As I look to my left, I see another blurry figure, and my reflexes quickly punch it in the face.”Ahhh what the fuck" I say quickly as I scramble back without falling. I clench my hand over my heart trying to calm my breathing. I blink again to see my senses coming back and Okoye, Shuri and a bloody Riri. I slightly chuckle.

Shuri walk’s up to me and hug’s me tightly in relief “thank bast your alright, you had me worried” she say’s slapping the back of my head.

“Don't scare us like that again” Okoye said hugging me as well which was strange I mean she never hugs anyone ever, and she passes me a blanket to keep me warm.

“Oh yes shuri, Okoye I'm doing fine that I just woke up. Oh no I don't need a glass of water, or food.” I say sarcastically and they both run off swiftly to get me stuff.

I start to cough gently I feel a warm liquid in my hands and grabs nearby tissue to cover the small amount of blood.

I look over to Riri to see her holding a tissue over her bloodied nose and her looking down avoiding eye contact T’Challa would be so disappointed in me.

I sigh sadly “hey” I say and she look’s up to me, I motion for her to walk up to me and she complies fear in her eye’s scared of what I may do and I sigh softly “it’s okay” I say extending my hand to her and she takes it. I get up from the table and walk over to the first-aid kit in one of the lab’s cupboards and I motion for her to sit and she complies.

I start to dab her nose with a cloth and with some rubbing alcohol and she winces and I give her a kind smile “look” I start softly and she look’s at me “I-” I struggle getting the words out since I have never had to say it to a stranger I have only known for a couple of day’s “I'm sorry I punched you in the face I have fast reflexes with everyone. And who I wake up drowsy its not the best time to be standing next to me” I say genuinely and she look’s surprised “did you- did you just- apologise” she whispers like it would make me angry.

I raise an eyebrow at her “yeah don't get used to it”  I say then go back to cleaning her nose, once I finish I stand up only to be startled by Shuri rushing in with a plate of food and water. She  put’s it down on the nearest table dragging me over and forcing me to sit down.

I thank her and start to eat and drink my water silently before I speak up “so how long was I asleep for?” I question looking at Shuri and Riri.

“A couple of hours” Shuri responds quickly before looking at her calculations.

“For being my sister you are a terrible liar. Now I won’t ask again” I say sternly my glare hard.

She stops her work and looks back to me before looking down at her hands “ a month” she whisper barely audio picking at her hands.

“What” I question her.

“A month” she speaks up louder.

I go to speak but she cuts me off with her cry’s “I'm sorry” she sniffles “ I found you body on the beach and I couldn’t save you in enough time so I put you in cryo freeze to keep you alive till I could figure out how to help you” she say’s in a fast rant crumbling to the floor and I stand up quickly walking up to her and holding her.

“Shh, shh, shh. Its okay I don't blame you I'm still alive and healthy because of you. Shuri it wasn’t your fault you couldn’t have known” I say holding her tightly.

“It’s not your fault.” I lift her chin up to meet my face and kiss her forehead “ not your fault.” I hold her for a couple more minutes till her breathing evens out and I look down at her sleeping face and I look over to Riri.

“Has she been sleeping?.”

“Uh…”

My calm demeanour melts quickly hearing her unsureness  “has she been sleeping!” I harshly whisper trying to not wake Shuri.

She takes a step back and looks down “no me and okoye tried to pull her out but she never left. She only got Griot to lock us out of the lab.”

I look at her and Shuri angrily and I pick shuri up princess style and start walking out the lab “Griot” I say walking out “Override code 3574.”  

“Override code 3574 activated” Griot complies with my command.

Riri walks beside me “what’s Override code 3574?.”

“Shuri has been locked out of the lab and only I possess the authority to allow her to reenter” I smile softly as she chuckles in amusement.