Chapter 39

Variants had always fascinated Vincent; it's a discovery of other timelines, what you'll be like if you had another choice in life. What would that version of you be if you were in circumstances different from what you're living now? The Brown Widow is a roguish version of her original, more like a tattooed military woman instead of a sleek assassin. Liseth is what Hela would be if she wasn't a megalomaniac bitch and more laid-back. Terence, if Thor wasn't a prince. Raven, if Agatha Harkness wasn't consumed with greed. But Vincent? He never thought that he would have an alternate version of himself. He thinks he's just a nobody.

What's special about a boring laboratory technician who spent his childhood reading books all by himself in the corner living day by day avoiding the bullies as best as he can before they broke his eyeglasses, hung him by his underwear on the branch of a tall tree, drown his face on the toilet bowl and being belittled by his deadbeat military dad for being a wimp?

He'd considered committing suicide before because he could not just take it. But every time he did so, he would see visions of what he believed to be a message from the multiverse, Do not do it… It whispers to him. Dreams of another life he wished he had. The first image he has was believed to be the day he was born or made. He looked alien, people gave him odd looks. His skin felt human and metal at the same time. But of all these people there is one that drew him in. It's a woman with unusual perks just like him. Misunderstood just like he is. Sparks of neon red manifested from her fingertips.

"I used to think of myself one way," She said. "But after this?" Those familiar red sparks appear again from her hand. "I am something else. I'm still… Me, I think… But that's not what everyone else sees," She said, she felt crushed and helpless. But for some reason, he felt hopeful at that moment.

"You know I don't know what this is." Vincent heard himself speaking, pointing at the unusual jewel on his forehead. "Not really. I know it's not from this world. It powered Loki's staff and gave you your abilities. Its true nature is a mystery and yet it is a part of me," He said.

"Are you afraid of it?" The woman said with a thick Sokovian accent.

"I wish to understand it. The more I do the less it controls me. One day, who knows… I may even control it," He said. He was always assured that things will be better.

Then he awoke once more from that whirlwind of a dream. There are days when he could no longer distinguish reality from a dream. The deja vu is just intense. Eventually, he figured out that Wanda had decided to choose the brewery instead of the cafe. He admits that he was a bit saddened by that thought. But he knew that he'd support what setting made her more comfortable.

The redhead would still visit the seaside cafe but more to unwind after a day's work behind the brew chambers. She would often order some iced tea or iced coffee while sitting on the Alfresco outside.

Unlike the casual ambiance inside the brewery where people could just drink beer and enjoy some chips, the cafe is often flooded by people in the corporate district of the city and they are frequently demanding their orders. Even he, who works as the Head Barista scoffs at the vanity of some of them. Really? Lemme get a grande iced mocha, no foam, quad soy hexagon vortex hypotenuse...

And also, he likes to see her more untroubled by the stress of taking orders, early mornings are hectic. He guesses that the reason why Wanda wanted to work at the cafe was to find commonality with her daughter. Prison sucks! And by the time you get out, there are a lot of readjustments to do. If only she realizes that Milla hasn't changed everything. The kid was forced to adjust because of how steadfast everyone around is. It's a big boom from town to city.

Being that, her decision was final. And he needs to amp up his game! Brewsters are tough: endless lifting and mixing heavy batches of beer every day. Another part of the job was being on guard 24/7 for catcalls, drunk men groping, and potential bar fights - he could see it from the muscle-bound physiques of Natasha (Brown Widow), Liseth, even the former brewsters now CEOs of the Alehouse Brewing Company, Vasilisa Maximoff & Mortianna Maximoff. Yet outside the brawn, their tastes are also refined: every appearance, aroma, flavor, and even the texture of the beverage after it leaves your tongue, and down your throat are rigorously tested and evaluated by these people before they were put in the jugs of the taprooms.