Chapter 50 - A BREWER'S JOURNEY

The Monastery/School (The Abbey Sanctum/Coven in disguise)

Milla Maximovich/Maximoff Pov

The Abbey Sanctum/Coven of the Volurs/The Twins the historical establishment has so many names and incarnations at this point it's impressive how they're able to pull such powerful glamour. The majority of the people in the city still believe that it's still a historical landmark. On the outside of its walls the sorcerers/sorceresses and the witches/warlocks within masquerade with normal clothes blending in with the ordinary folks.
As much as possible they are still making sure that sorcerers/witches won't practice magic outside. I stepped inside the bullet train as it takes me to the central landmark of the city. I live near the beach and the sanctum is at the uppermost land near the forest, so it was quite far. As I held onto the bar to hold myself from toppling forward/backward.

I look around me, a baby is crying nearby, an old man reading a newspaper, a woman that looks glum as she wears her headphones on, and a man about to be late at work. For someone like me riding on public transit is risky. At this point, everyone knew who I was.
However, I held my other hand inside my pocket as I alter my appearance into somebody else. It's a glamour, a presence concealment spell that High Priestess Raven taught me to conjure while Mom was still in her imprisonment.

The speed train stopped at the final terminal which is ‘the Abbey’. I stepped outside and continued strolling through the outside of the sanctum/coven. The sorcerers/warlocks that are dressed like security guards recognized me immediately after I revealed my eye color through my glamour in this case I masqueraded as a guard as well.
When I entered the gates the concealment that is the monastery/church disappeared revealing the sanctum/coven itself.

I am the youngest student within the sanctum/coven. Though High Priestess Raven insisted that I am capable of harnessing my energies for teaching magic still Elder Helen had agreed under my request that I'd rather study brewing again. I don't use my powers much unless necessary. Even at home, I don't use it to do chores.
Recently I also started paying rent even though Mom had told me that unlike in the US, Sokovia does not obligate their kids to move out unless they're mature (mentally and financially) enough.
Still.
That sense of responsibility is nagging me nonstop and I'm still 12...

I opened the door to the office. Even though brewing has been conducted for centuries, and everywhere you go there is a microbrewery in sight still the sanctum/coven anchors the most state-of-the-art brewing facility and doubles as a school that heralds the most important brewing programs in the realm.

During Elder Sigyn's reign - making beer is essentially a craft within mostly sorcerers/sorceresses and a minority of witches/warlocks - taught by only family members of the same trade.
But after changing the historical timeline, the boundary between the two groups dissipated which also follows for other people to learn about beer making. And this was the start of numerous brewing programs (approved by the sanctum/coven and the city government) that boomed the economy of the realm hence its advancement.

There's not much to do today other than assessing new samples. I am part of the current sensory panel that sits on a table in a clean and wide space just near the giant brew tanks inside the laboratory of the school outside the sanctum's/coven's glamour.
For the common folk who doesn't know... They just think that the sanctum/coven is just a monastery that makes and gets knackered with beer...

We conducted a go/no-go session, every batch of beer that is passed by self-made microbreweries around the city. Each member of the panel pours out a measure of beer and rates it from one to five. They’re using the power of their senses to detect any flaws or deviations from the intended beer that would make it unsuitable for sale. 
Selected individuals are invited to undergo a rigorous sensory training program, spanning over 40 hours, that involves sniffing, sipping, and swallowing to finely tune their palates to identify flavor and aroma compounds such as ethyl acetate, diacetyl, and isovaleric acid.
Mere detection of these compounds is not enough as trained tasters need to be able to identify dozens of different flavor and aroma compounds, even at trace levels of just a few parts per million, that may affect the quality of beer. Those who are certified as trained or experts undergo routine retesting to ensure their palates remain sharp.