Chapter 44

The Sanctum of the Abbey

Elder Helen woke up from being stupefied. The memories from earlier came flashing back: 

It was a council meeting regarding abolishing the beer restrictions from the smaller districts. The law up in the north with their "strange beers" made of honey, spices, and wheat were bound by tax laws. The Order of the Reinheitsgebot was trying to make it seem like a food-regulation safety but they knew its more tax-related. Taxes have always been the main way the government has interacted with breweries the Order of the Reinheitsgebot is a government party that supports that heavily.

In some districts, the tax is based on alcohol content. Others are taxed based on the size of their mash tuns. The absence of laws in an area was no less an influence on beers than their presence—especially when brewers were competing with their neighbors who had to adhere to more stringent regulations.

The Sokovian community of brewers and brewsters are outside the liege of tax people. No one dares Vasilisa and Mortianna Maximoff's influence. And as a consequence became a huge brewing center, exporting tens of thousands of barrels of tax-free beer.

“Everyone has the right to express and to explore one's craft. Whether they are of tradition or free flair,” High Priestess Raven said in her speech. The purple-robed witch flips her papers. “By lifting restrictions and allowing the community of both sides to have a choice either way we—

Raven was cut off when a black-cloaked Reinheitsgebot member fires at the High Priestess with a crossbow bolt hitting her in the left shoulder. The coven councilors watched in horror as their High Priestess fell backward from the podium.

The next scene ensues a flurry of energy spells and curses firing at either side. Blasts of multiple colors start igniting on one another as the throne room of the Abbey fell into disarray.

Sorcerer Elder Helen's eyes widen in surprise when some of the silver-robed abbey sorcerers on her side of the throne room lifted their robes revealing the black cloaks of the Reinheitsgebot Order. “Traitors!” She gasped and before she knew a weave of runes crafted as net enveloped her.

Good day, Elder Helen,” Said a Reinheitsgebot leader. Her eyes darted in his direction.

“You have always been a rule breaker among the Abbey. Always negating Elder Sigyn's reforms even though she was right in the first place. Taking shelter in the tents and the bonfires in the woods those savages call... Their coven.” The black-cloaked leader scoffs. His followers also in black cloaks laughs alongside him.

“What else. Hmm...” The Reinheitsgebot leader thought. “Ah! Taking in refugees from other universes!” He continued.

“I did what was best for the realm,” Elder Helen said. “We are prone to doom, we are an underdeveloped universe bounded by old ways that will never stand a chance against any bigger threat. Mephisto is a gigantic demon do you think our spell books could stand the chance? Never! That's why the Scarlet Witch's daughter is our greatest ally. The technological advancement of the Avengers' variants from other; even more sophisticated universes than their original has boosted our economy, and our systems! And besides, WE ARE ALSO VARIANTS!” She spat.

The Reinhetsgebot leader looks at Helen with fury in his eyes, “We are not VARIANTS!” He screamed at her.

“We are the original! The sorcerers started the trade and were dirtied by your other-universal miscreants!” He shouted, his face red with anger. Elder Helen smirked from behind her prison cell. He knows that she's right ALL of them are variants: sorcerers and witches alike.