Into the Snake's Den

If one were to look upon the scene without context, they might say they were witnessing a funeral procession

If one were to look upon the scene without context, they might say they were witnessing a funeral procession. Rows of nuns escort Eben through the town, their faces obscured behind gauzy veils.

To him, it might as well have been a funeral. After all, he is being led toward the den of a gorgon. In all his travels, Eben had never encountered one before. They didn't usually live in areas like this, though he'd heard stories; according to lore they are fierce, territorial, and travel in packs. The redhead shivers as he imagines accidentally coming across a horde of gorgons. He'd take bloodthirsty unicorns any day; at least then, he'd be able to see his doom coming...

The sound of Daisy's voice stirs him from his musings. "Listen up because I'm not saying this twice. You will be responsible for maintaining the land, livestock, and health of the beast. Once a month, you will be permitted to enter the village to report his well-being to Father Sheppard and restock any necessary supplies."

When Eben only stares dumbly, Daisy glares. "Are you listening? Failing in these tasks may result in becoming snake chow if you're lucky, Father Sheppard's next example if you're not."

"I'm listening. Continue."

Daisy frowns but carries on. "When winter comes, he goes into brumation. It will be your job to wake him if the bells ring in the village."

"Brumation? You mean he sleeps all winter?"

Daisy nods. "Yes, so keep his quarters warm in the fall to keep him awake as long as possible— and don't get any ideas on trying to steal away in the night while he's asleep. That pretty new necklace of yours won't let you get far."

Eben's hand traces the pattern on his neck. He hasn't been able to get a look at it yet, but he's quite certain if he did he would see a snake branded onto his skin. "What do you mean?"

"I mean to say you've been cursed. If you go too far from Adder, further than the gates of Nǣdre Tor, that snake around your neck will tighten until you're blue."

Eben's stomach drops. Despite his elven heritage, his knowledge of magic was pathetically small. All he knew was that it was not to be taken lightly. Magic was dangerous, and being able to wield it as a human was a feat only the insanely powerful and skilled ever accomplished.

Eben clenches his jaw. His hope for escape was slowly dwindling.

Daisy ignores Eben's spiral into despair. "As I was saying...you'll want to keep your eyes closed when you hear Adder's bells. He'll tell you when he's got his eyes covered, but it's best to be wary just in case."

"So I'll just have to go blind anytime he's near?"

Daisy rolls her eyes. "Welcome to Nǣdre Tor."

Too soon for his liking, they arrive at a tall stone wall that surrounds the home of Adder. Daisy steps forward to unlock the massive moss-covered gate, handing the keys to Eben. "Follow the path until you get to the cave. Good luck."