Celebrating Death

The morning of Mortfall appeared just like one might picture in a fairytale

The morning of Mortfall appeared just like one might picture in a fairytale. A blanket of thick snow coats the ground, with vibrant red cardinals dancing jovially among the sea of white.

Under normal circumstances, Eben would have welcomed the holiday with open arms, eagerly anticipating the evening's celebrations. Instead, he fidgets anxiously as he sketches his self-portrait, wishing the night would never come.

It just didn't make much sense to force him to participate in the village's celebrations. What was the point? Acclimating him to a life outside Adder's reach? Eben doubted the priest would be that considerate.

Still, even as he begs the sun to stay high in the sky, time's arrow marches forward. The horizon darkens more and more until It's time for Eben to go. The half-elf sighs, placing the drawing on the table as he picks up his cloak and scarf, dressing warmly for what most certainly would be a freezing night.

As he arrives he marvels at the sight of the decorations lining the stone streets. Red banners and ribbons are strewn everywhere, the vibrant color even more eye-catching against the pallid hues of winter.

Villagers are roaming the streets as the revelry of the night begins. However, they don't look very excited. In fact, the whole village seems to almost be consumed by some oppressive force. Considering the more festive the celebration, the further Morthall was supposed to be, this village was very close to death.

"Hey! Elf!"

Eben jolts at the sound of a small voice. Looking to his right, he sees Kora running up to him. The girl is decked in warm clothing, a bright red fur-lined coat covering her small frame.

Eben scowls at the child, looking down at her from Fairy. "I'm not an elf, I'm a half-human."

Kora is unphased by the scolding. "You have pointy ears like an elf though."

The half-elf rolls his eyes, trying not to let the words of a child bother him. "Can I help you? I need to go see Father Sheppard."

The dark-haired girl grins. "No, you have to come with me. Father Sheppard told us to host you for Mortfall. Let me on your horse!"

Eben blinks, surprised. Was Sheppard trying to send some kind of message forcing him to spend the holiday with a human family?

"Okay," he sighs, extending a hand toward the little girl. "Climb up."

The child climbs onto Fairy's back and they depart towards the Artisan's home. As they walk through the ornately decorated cobblestone paths, the girl nearly talks his pointed ears off as she discusses the holiday.

"Is Adder celebrating Mortfall?" Kora asks.

"I'm going to give him a present tonight, but I think he's sleeping through most of it," Eben replies.

The dark-haired girl beams. "That's good! Even gorgon's should get Mortfall presents. Did you get me one?"

The half-elf smiles at the boldness of the girl. "No, I didn't know I was coming so I didn't prepare anything."