Birdsong

With the last autumn days, the villagers prepare for winter with the festival of Demeterra

With the last autumn days, the villagers prepare for winter with the festival of Demeterra. Adder daydreams about it often, he's sure they're hard at work collecting the last of the wheat and chasing the lucky maiden acting as the Goddesses' proxy for the evening.

However, Eben and Adder aren't having such an enjoyable time.

The first few weeks of having Merlyn home with them was peaceful enough—she really only fussed if she didn't get her nighttime meal on time or was left in a soiled diaper. But after that, chaos ensues; Merlyn is crying, constantly. Their first thought is that she's sick, or in pain. But every time she cried, they ruled it out—she appeared as healthy as a premature harpy could be, even rapidly gaining weight by the day. But she still cries no matter what they do.

Today is no exception. Adder awakens to Merlyn's wailing with a groan. He slithers over to where she lays; they've set her up in their room, bundled in her own little nest. The gorgon picks her up, giving Eben the mercy of removing the distraught infant so he can sleep a little more.

He enters the kitchen where he heats a pot of goat milk, adding in oats, honey, and some sliced apples as the liquid comes to a gentle broil. He spoons the oatmeal into a wooden bowl, letting it cool before serving it to the wailing infant. However even as the little harpy is fed, she whines and sniffs as she chews her breakfast.

Adder sighs, exhausted. "What's wrong, little bird? I wish you could tell me..."

"If she was a human, I'd say she'd begun teething."

Adder turns around to see his lover enter the kitchen, his hair a fiery mess of tangles and knots.

"Did she wake you up? I'm sorry, I tried to get her out quickly..."

Eben sighs, plopping a spoonful of oatmeal into his bowl. "Don't worry about it. She actually woke me up last night and I never went back to sleep."

Adder frowns, guilt itching at his heart. Eben notices the expression immediately, smiling wearily. "It's really okay, I'm not upset..."

"I know. I just feel horrible—I knew this would be hard, but now I'm realizing just how much of a burden it's going to be for you."

"Adder, don't say that."

Adder looks up from Merlyn, surprised at the sudden gravity in Eben's voice. The half-elf reaches over the table, resting a hand on Adder's wrist. "You know that I'm not just doing this for you, right?"

"Er—yes?"

Eben sighs, shaking his head with a smile. "Adder, I know I was hesitant at first, but I care about Merlyn as much as you do. She's not a burden and neither are you. You realize the kind of things I had to do to survive winter as a bandit? I can handle a fussy baby while you rest."

The gorgon smiles, cheeks pinkening. "That's—that's a relief to hear. Though I still really dislike the idea of you spending the winter by your lonesome with a newborn."