Ouroboros

The arrival of spring brings with it a flurry of butterflies, their colorful wings fluttering in the warm sunlight as they rejoice in Giakora's victory over winter

The arrival of spring brings with it a flurry of butterflies, their colorful wings fluttering in the warm sunlight as they rejoice in Giakora's victory over winter. Eben watches with clenched teeth as nature's beauty plays out before him, the vibrant display of life a stark contrast to the turmoil churning inside him.

The fear of leaving Adder all alone grips Eben's heart, stealing his breath. He laughs at the ridiculousness of this all, despite the pain. Once fearless in the face of death, Eben now feels weakened by the weight of what he stands to lose. 

Death is no longer an option, not when it means leaving Adder alone again. He must stay alive to protect those he loves, no matter the cost.

When it comes time to leave for the festival, both Helia and Adder squeeze him in a constricting hug. They don't say much, as nobody wants to cement their fates by saying goodbye...It doesn't matter anyway though—since they will all see each other at the festival one way or another.

So he mounts Fairy, dashing off towards the village. Eben has no desire to be there sooner than he needs to, but he knows he'll lose his nerve if he doesn't get there quickly. So the half-elf urges the dappled mare onward, crushing wildflowers under her hooves as they pelt through the woods toward their fate.

As Eben passes through the stone gates, his scowl deepens as he takes in the festive decorations of Nǣdre Tor for Koranelia. Pastel banners flutter in the breeze, flowers adorn every corner, and altars overflow with wine, pastries, and roasted meats. 

It's a picturesque scene, with the jubilant rays of sunlight dancing among the ornamented streets, but it only serves to make the half-elf more enraged at the tastelessness of it all...two women were sentenced to die today, how could they decorate so gayly?

However, the crowds around him don't seem all that cheerful, either. Fear and desperation is palpable in the air, as if the villagers know this is a turning point for their home—once the madman used Adder against Daisy and Fern, there was no going back. Nobody would be safe.

The half-elf shifts uneasily in his saddle, the tension in the air only adding to his anxiety. Besides saving Adder, the whole town was at stake...If he failed, they were all doomed.

Thankfully, a familiar sound rings out above the worried murmurs of the crowd, ripping Eben from the vicious cycle of dread and fear. 

"Eben!" A male voice calls out.

The half-elf turns his head towards the sound. Adler is waving, little Kora at his side. Eben makes his way to the pair, dismounting Fairy. "Adler, Kora, greetings."

"Hello, Eben." Adler greets solemnly.

"I didn't think I'd see you here, to be honest," Eben admits.

The artisan grits his teeth, eyes on the ground. "Attendance is mandatory. If we stayed home and anyone reported it to Sheppard..."