Snake in the Grass

Eben sits up rapidly, the dreaded chimes causing a deep apprehension felt in his bones

Eben sits up rapidly, the dreaded chimes causing a deep apprehension felt in his bones. Adder mimics his movement, gasping at the sound. The gorgon makes a pained whine as he attempts to rise.

"Adder! No!" Eben grabs onto the gorgon's arm. "You can't go, you'll die!"

The gorgon's strength is too much though, brushing Eben's hands off like one might detach a clingy child. "I'll be fine, Eben. This is my duty. I have fought injured before."

Eben wants to scream with frustration. How dare the villagers summon Adder after he was so gravely injured? Did none of them even try to consider if his friend would survive these attacks? Or was their only priority simply saving their own hides?

"They can face it themselves for once, Adder! Do you not feel your body screaming at you to stop!?"

Adder growls, face pinched. "I have to Eben, this is the only path to redemption!"

The gorgon starts struggling towards the mouth of the cave, Eben following close behind. Before Adder can make his exit, the half-elf runs ahead of him, blocking his path.

"Redemption for what, Adder?! You did nothing wrong! You are innocent and that bastard priest has manipulated you into becoming his martyr!"

Adder tensed, clenching his fists. "I killed dozens of innocent people, Eben."

"Then let me handle it! If this is the path to redeeming oneself, I should try too!"

Adder pauses, shocked. "No Eben, you're not like me..."

"You're right, Adder. I'm not like you. I knew full well what I was doing was wrong, but I did it anyway. I did it because I was angry at the world for taking everything from me, for rejecting me. I hurt people as some kind of... twisted revenge."

Even clenches his jaw, taking a step forward. "I want to redeem myself. Please, Adder. Let me do this for you."

Adder hesitates for a moment before his face hardens. "No. I can't risk you dying for me."

The gorgon swerves around the half-elf, nearly at the mouth of the cave. Fear suffuses every pore as the half-elf watches the gorgon head toward his certain death.

Eben can't do this, he couldn't go back to being alone and hated. This kind, gentle, amazing, person could not be allowed to die just because some fanatic has convinced him he was only valuable to the world as a killer.

"Adder! Stop! Adder!"

The gorgon doesn't heed his pleas as Eben runs beside him, desperate. He makes one last ditch effort, grabbing Adder's hand and tugging him away from the entrance of the cave.

The abrupt movement causes the monster to hiss in pain, hand coming to now-red wrapping on his chest. The sight sets the half-elf's mind ablaze with rage and fear.