Stitched Scales

As the last warm summer days are savored by half-elf and gorgon, the two start to spend much more time in each other's company

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

As the last warm summer days are savored by half-elf and gorgon, the two start to spend much more time in each other's company. It makes sense, of course. As the only two souls out in these woods, who else would they spend their time with? Though, despite their fragile truce, It's not as if Eben has forgotten Daisy's warning. It rings in his mind constantly;

Nobody knows why he did it. Maybe it was an accident, or maybe she made him mad, and he lost control. Either way, she's dead and he's dangerous.

The bandit burns with curiosity and anxiety. Did Adder really do it? Did he kill the woman he regards as his mother?

As Eben's servitude to the gorgon continues, he's made it a habit to watch and monitor the monster...and the half-elf has come to a conclusion; Adder does not seem the type to kill out of rage. This is made all the more clear when hours after the bells have rung, Adder returns to the cave, bruises and slashes scoring his body.

"Gods, you look rough. What opponent could've done that?"

The gorgon sits at the table, sighing heavily. "It was a group of humans...bandits. They're not uncommon around here..."

Eben swallows an uncharacteristic lump of guilt that's suddenly lodged in his throat. "You didn't seem to have any trouble dealing with my group," he coughs.

"It was different this time. They made it seem like they were attempting to escape...I was going to let them all go. I didn't realize they had an archer on the roof."

The redhead puts down the pot he'd been stirring, tilting his head in contemplation. So Adder lets intruders go if they try to run instead of fight? He sighs, wishing he'd known that earlier...but who would imagine a fierce gorgon displaying such a show of mercy?

"So you killed him?"

Adder sinks onto the table morosely. "Yes. He's been petrified..."

Eben fiddles with the hem of his shirt awkwardly. The mood has quickly become dark and the half-elf is unsure how to address it. It seems he doesn't need to though, as the gorgon pinches his mouth and shifts uncomfortably.

"Eben...would you please assist with this?"

"Your injuries?" The redhead asks nervously.

"I can tend to most of it myself but..."

Adder pulls away from the table, turning to display a pale, muscled back. There, the half-elf examines a grisly sight; a feathered arrow is lodged neatly under one of the winged shoulder blades of the gorgon.

"Gods!"

"It's not too deep, but I can't reach it..."

"I can see that! Lay down..."

The gorgon does as instructed, stiffly laying on his front. He tenses as the half-elf cautiously approaches, delicately examining the wound.

"Are you sure it was bandits?"