Brumation

Though autumn has yet to officially end, winter's icy grip is creeping ever closer

Though autumn has yet to officially end, winter's icy grip is creeping ever closer. Frigid gusts of wind pass over the forest, sending animals scurrying to line their dens.

Both Adder and Eben heal as the month progresses, helped in part by Daisy's assistance. However, despite the gorgon's improved condition, he seems to slow down more and more.

Today, as the first fat snowflakes drift down from the sky, the gorgon is extremely subdued. Eben studies his friend, concerned at the pallid hue of his skin and the dull sheen of his scales.

"Are you okay, Adder?" Eben asks, worry lacing his voice.

Adder yawns, lifting his head off the table. "I'm fine. It's normal for me to be sluggish as long as it's cold out."

The half-elf frowns at the comment. Adder is still expected to protect the village during the winter, will he be safe if his reflexes are so slowed?

Daisy bites into her apple, finishing her breakfast. "So you'll be asleep all winter, right?"

Adder shakes his head. "No, I will awaken periodically to eat and drink. But for the cold months, I will be asleep for most of it. Unless I'm awoken, that is."

"I'm gonna miss you, buddy. How often will you wake up naturally?" Eben asks.

Adder smiles, the tip of his tail swishing slightly. "About every two weeks I will awaken for a day. I'm glad you'll be here... it's a little frightening to enter brumation alone."

Eben scoots closer to his friend, giving a tight side hug. "Don't worry, I'll keep watch over you."

The nun seems to closely study the interaction, as always. "Do you have the necessary supplies for winter yet?"

"We might need more firewood since winter seems to be coming early this year. Also, It might be a good idea to make sure the chicken coop is well insulated," Adder replies.

Eben turns to the nun. "I'll check the coop. Daisy, are you good with the firewood? It's a lot of work..."

Daisy rolls her eyes. "I can handle it. I'm a little stronger than your average maiden."

Eben smirks, stretching as he stands. "I could get used to you doing all the hard labor. It's too bad you're going back to the nunnery tomorrow."

Daisy huffs as she stands, crossing her arms. "And here I thought you just enjoyed my wonderful company."

"I've enjoyed your stay here, Daisy," Adder adds, missing the sarcasm. "I wish you could visit...Oh! That reminds me. I have something for you both."

Adder slithers away into his room, returning with something in his hands. The gorgon gives an item each to both Daisy and Eben.

The half-elf turns the burlap-wrapped object in his hands, curious. He unties the twine and opens the gift, revealing the contents inside; it's a forest-green, hand-knitted scarf. He marvels at the intricate pattern on the item, holding it out to look at it fully.