Mourning Dove

When it was just Eben and Adder, their schedule was dependent on their moods

When it was just Eben and Adder, their schedule was dependent on their moods. Some days they took time to indulge in leisurely breakfasts. Adder would sip his tea while reading, while Eben used the golden hour to paint or sketch. Other days, Adder would sleep in, only leaving bed to find a sunny spot to bask in. Eben might go for a ride on fairy, bringing home a slain buck or jackalope by the time the crickets started to sing.

Something they soon learned about raising children, though, is that they crave schedules. Merlyn's tantrums soon made it obvious that she didn't like to be in the dark about how the day would go. So everyday follows a familiar pattern now: Merlyn rises first at the crack of dawn and plays with her doll until Adder or Eben wakes up. Usually it's Adder, who gives himself the indulgence of stretching for a good ten minutes before carrying Merlyn to the breakfast table. He makes her eggs with a side of fruit and a cup of goat milk. Sometimes he lets her pour the milk herself—it's important to let her try, even if it results in a spill literally every time. Next to rise is Eben, who eats at the table while he has a cup of strongly brewed tea. Once his breakfast is over, he heads out to tend to go hunt before returning to help with the garden. At noon, they sit down to a meal before returning to work, usually storing and canning produce.

Today, though, is a little different. Adder's eyes are bloodshot this morning. Sleep eluded him all night, his anxieties whirring around his mind all night like bees in a hive. As the sun begins to peek over the treeline, he's in the study looking over the small altar he's arranged. Previously, he'd solely worshiped Giakora, so he never thought to get a dedicated altar for her. Rather, he'd converted one of the bookshelves into a space to place offerings. The Goddess is not picky, nor vain, and he felt she would appreciate her altar being betwixt some of his most beloved tomes. However, taking recent events into consideration, Adder had moved some of Giakora's offerings to the side to add some new additions. Beside her pressed flowers, a small goblet of wine, and an intricate garnet necklace, Adder has decided to add some items for Demeterra and Zephereon. For the Goddess of motherhood, he adds a corked bottle of strong spirits, some cinnamon bark, and a hand-crocheted potholder. For the God of the ether, however, Adder adds something especially precious: one long, banded, brown feather. The one first ever shed from Merlyn's adult set of feathers.

Adder closes his eyes as he gently places the feather down. He sighs deeply before lighting the incense. The smoke drifts into the air with a stream of delicate white. He studies it carefully.

"She can't stay with us. Flying isn't an option," Adder croaks, "Otherwise—won't she be trapped? What do I do? Gods—"

Adder doesn't finish. He thinks of the first night after Helia had been petrified. He'd slept here in the study, at the table. Everything had seemed so cold, so dead. If Merlyn stayed with them, that would inevitably be her fate—isolated from humanity by her monstrous nature, abandoned by her kin for her inability to fly. He and Eben won't live forever, after all.

Voices from the living room break him out of his stupor. Adder enters to find Eben portioning out a healthy helping of scrambled eggs to Merlyn and Kora.