Water Off a Duck's Back

As inevitable as the sun rising, the freezing winds of winter sweep across the lands Eben and Adder call home

As inevitable as the sun rising, the freezing winds of winter sweep across the lands Eben and Adder call home. The gorgon fights his brumation as long as possible, keeping the cave warm with the roaring of the hearth, but his body knows better. As the days become dark and short, the instinctual urge to burrow under a mound of blankets and furs grows undeniable in him..

Finally, after nearly falling face first into his bowl of porridge, Adder is dragged to his room by Eben. The half-elf rolls his eyes as the monster weakly fights his mate, using his magic to overpower the gorgon and shove the him into the nest.

"Eben, I can stay awake a bit longer," he croaks.

"You could, but you shouldn't. You know as well as I do you need to sleep, Adder. The cold isn't good for you."

"Merlyn will miss me though! I just need a little more time with her—"

Eben huffs, bouncing the baby on his hip. "She'll see you when you wake up. It's not like you're going to be asleep the entire winter."

"But I'm only awake for such a short time..."

The half-elf smiles, handing the baby over to Adder. The gorgon hugs the infant, flopping into the nest as Merlyn snuggles into the embrace.

"Well, you basically made it impossible for her to sleep independently, so it's not like she won't be spending time with you."

"It's not the saaame," Adder whines.

"I know I know...hey, why don't you read something to her? If she's not going to hear from you for a while, it might be a good send off."

Adder perks up at the thought of books, tail wagging. "Great idea! Can you go get Gods and Diety's of Aaradivirsi, volume one, by Zarek Bestiarius?"

Eben snorts, raising an eyebrow. "A bit of an advanced book for an infant, Adder."

"She doesn't know the difference," Adder huffs.

"Okay okay, I'll get your book."

The half-elf leaves, returning a moment later with the gilded tome. Adder takes the book into his hands reverently, excited despite the fact he's read the book cover to cover a million times. He opens the book to the first page, clearing his throat.

"Of the many diverse groups which call our land home, one unifying force unites them all; the mutual belief and worship of the Gods and Goddesses of the Pantheon. From the devotees of Giakora, to the shadowy cults of the Great Deceiver, this tome explores the lore and powers of several Gods."

"I don't worship any Gods," Eben interrupts.

"Shush, heathen," Adder snips, "I'm reading."

The gorgon flips to a new page, beginning to read the next chapter. "Chapter one, the God of the sea and transformation, Thalassimorphos..."