Nesting

Adder thumps his tail on the ground, growling

Adder thumps his tail on the ground, growling. Helia wacks him on the tail with a broom. "Adder, go sit in your nest if my presence disturbs you so. I can't help you prepare for this child if you keep getting in my way..."

"I'm sorry, I can't help it," he whines, setting his head on the table.

Eben snickers, earning a scowl from his partner. Adder would much rather be indulging in peaceful solitude with Eben, as they have been for the past couple of weeks, but his mother is right. It's best to prepare as soon as possible—even if it triggers his temper to have outsiders in his home.

Helia huffs at her son's antics, tucking a strand of hair into her head cover. "Actually, how is your aggression lately?"

"It's not too bad..."

Eben looks up from where he's organizing the kitchen knives. "He petrified a jackalope yesterday because it got too close to us."

"Eben!" Adder scolds.

Eben shrugs. "I'm too scared of your mother to lie to her."

"Adder, I'm not asking to shame you. But I think it's a good thing to be mindful of..." Helia says.

"You can't be suggesting that I'm a threat to you!"

"My child, no, of course not. But as a new safe-haven for Giakora worshippers, Nǣdre Tor isn't so cut-off as it used to be...I worry about what might happen if a stranger crosses your path."

Adder sighs. She's right...as much as he wants to deny it, he's so high-strung right now, anyone unknown in their home would most likely meet a very enraged Adder. Shame bubbles under his skin. He's such a monster...

"So what do we do?"

"I'll inform the villagers to stay away for the time being, and you and Eben will work out a plan for the worst-case-scenario."

Eben sets down the cutlery he'd been polishing with a clack. "Worst-case-scenario?"

Helia nods. "Correct. As his mate, you need to make sure he doesn't do something he regrets..."

Eben nods grimly. "Adder, are you comfortable if I use magic in that case? I doubt it will be necessary, but it's best to be prepared."

Adder bites his lip, tracing the wide scar on his chest. He ponders how many years of his life were dedicated to violence—he's been retired as the guardian of the village, he has long since grown weary of the mindless bloodshed.

"Yes. I don't want to—to harm anyone who doesn't deserve it."

"I know," Eben scoots closer, placing his hand on Adder's, "I'm gonna make sure you don't, okay? I don't even think it will be necessary, you have a good handle on your strength."

"Yes...thank you."

Helia sets the broom down, bringing the gorgon into a tender embrace. "You're doing a good thing, you two. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm not supportive I just—"