Ecdysis

Scratchy growls angrily as Eben approaches the coop

The half-elf glares at the bird. "Ungrateful, aren't you? I should roast you, you foul fowl."

Scratchy doesn't respond to the threats, only pecking the dirt as he searches for worms.

Helia laughs as she emerges from the coop with the basket. "I think you'd make Adder upset if you did that."

Eben chuckles, throwing the rest of the feed before taking his place beside the elder. They walk together on the trail, the half-elf taking note of how a few opportunistic plants are already pushing through the snow.

However, as they near the entrance of Adder's home, the woman takes a right turn away from the cave.

Eben follows. "Where are you going?"

Helia smiles. "Where are we going, my dear. We are going to talk about our plans and your powers."

Eben's heart thuds. After yesterday's hectic events, the half-elf had been kept awake all night thinking of questions to ask the woman. However, he'd kept them to himself. There was no need to harangue the woman for answers when she'd only just awoken from a five-year slumber.

Helia finds a peaceful clearing in the forest for them. There's a rocky outcropping of smooth stone here, and Helia sits cross-legged, placing the basket before her.

"Come now, child. Don't be shy, sit with me."

The redhead nods, sitting across from the elder. She smiles pleasantly at the half-elf's obedience. "Eben, please tell me, what do you understand about your powers?

The half-elf twiddles with the hem of his pants. "Not much, to be honest. I know it's activated by emotions...but that's about it. I have no control over it at all..."

Helia nods as she sifts through the eggs. She holds up several toward the sky, holding each one close to her eye. She must find one she likes, because the woman smiles and hands a speckled green egg to Eben.

The half-elf accepts the egg quizzically. Why was Helia giving him this?

The woman motions to the egg. "Go ahead. Try to hatch it."

Eben blinks. "Hatch it?"

Helia nods. "It's fertilized—I can tell."

The man frowns. "I told you, I don't know how to use magic, it doesn't listen to me."

The woman smiles sympathetically. "Just try on your own first, then I will help you."

Eben sighs. He closes his eyes, focusing on the feel of the egg in his hands. He breathes deeply, trying to picture a chick growing and developing inside.

After several minutes of this though, nothing happens. He sighs, aggravated. "Can you tell me what I'm supposed to be doing here?"

Helia nods, straightening her head cover. "What were you thinking of, the last few times you used your powers?"