Forbidden Fruit

As crisp autumn winds settle over the forest, the change of the seasons is made official by brightly-hued leaves of red, yellow, and orange

As crisp autumn winds settle over the forest, the change of the seasons is made official by brightly-hued leaves of red, yellow, and orange. The once verdant foliage gently flutters to the ground, turning the forest floor into a colorful mosaic as woodland creatures scurry with haste, bracing themselves for the inevitable cold months ahead.

Eben enjoys the beauty of the season as he similarly works to prepare himself and Adder for the coming winter; harvesting the last of the crops, gathering firewood, and preserving their perishable foods.

It's a lot to do alone, but Eben doesn't mind it. It was hard to dislike the work when you got to end your day with a warm bed, good food, and pleasant company. That was more than any criminal could ask for in this world.

Besides preparing for winter, the half-elf was also preoccupied with managing the needs of an injured gorgon. Thankfully, Adder was recuperating remarkably well. The slash on his face had faded away, leaving behind a barely noticeable scar, while the other wounds were scabbing over nicely. However, the injury on his chest was still proving to be an issue. Due to the infection and the depth of the wound, the gorgon has to move slowly and carefully not to injure himself further.

As a result, Eben also cooks the gorgon's meals, assists him around the cave, and helps him maintain his hygiene. Essentially, Eben was acting as Adder's live-in nurse until the wounds have healed.

The half-elf stares into the fire, mind wandering as he contemplates his friend's long road to recovery. The gorgon had endured so much and Eben couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt. He had put Adder into that situation by running like a coward. If he'd stayed and asked what had really happened to Helia, his friend wouldn't have been nearly as damaged as he is now.

Shaking his head to dispel the dark thoughts, Eben refocuses on the present. He turns his attention to the cauldron of water simmering on the fire. With a gentle stir, the scent of lavender, rose, and lemongrass fills the cave. It was a calming aroma, one that he hopes will soothe Adder's weary body.

"Are you ready, Adder?"

Adder is curled by the fireside, toying with his hair. "Almost... thank you for helping me with this, Eben."

Eben lifts the large pot by the handles, heaving it over to sit by Adder's spot on the ground. "No problem. Let me just clean up first then I'll do you, okay?"

A flush rises to Adder's cheeks. "You're going to bathe? Right here?"

Eben chuckles as he disrobes. "I can wait until later if it makes you uncomfortable, but it's not like you can see me."

"No, it's okay." Adder concedes, "It's just that even though I can't see you, just knowing you're naked it—it makes me a tad flustered."

Eben can't the small small chuckle escapes Eben's lips as he dips the rag into the pot of soapy water. This gorgon was so ridiculous.